Security Installer Community

Can I 'spur' Off An Existing Pir?

Gadge

hi Gadge,

depends on your own competance to implement this extension, but yes it will work.

it's not the best idea simply because if you get a false alarm on the 'lounge' zone, how will you know which detector actually caused it? also if your system isolates a zone after an alarm condition and auto rearms both detectors will be isolated. thats why we have separate zones also because a service engineers time costs money.

for you own needs this is not such a problem as long as you accept the situations possible drawbacks, i do advise what ever you do to use a duel-tec motion sensor, conservatories are prone to false alarms incidents especially from heat in the summer.

if you have a spare zone on the panel you might just have some spare cables that could be used, i.e. 8 core cable but only six cores used if your lucky, you should ask a competent alarm engineer to quote for the work, as i think it would be worth the expense to save the hassle.

regs

alan

IMHO a dual Tec is not a good idea for a conservatory - mainly because one technology of dual Tec is a microwave, which will go through glass. The PIR unit in d/t is usually a cheapo type therefore when it gets hot in the area that will go into alarm and if it sees something outside that dual Tec will activate.

Much better to use a Quad. There are several types on the market, get a pro in and he will fit it properly.

As for the tamper thing you are right you don

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Guest anguscanplay
Right, just checked all the pir's, all have one pair spair, and no tampers connected, surley there is a reason for not having these connected as its too obvoius and easy for them not to be.

By connecting them are they only going to benifit me by triggering the alarm if the cover is removed, but the pir would trigger before this?

Before i give my self extra work i just want to understand a little better, cheers.

often if its - no disrespect - a sparks install the tampers will be left of as they are percieved as not been needed - yes they will indicate that the lid has been removed but also show if the cable is cut or if there is a nail etc shorting out the detector - think of them as a positive and negative - positive is the curcuit and negative is the tamper with the tamper been live twenty four hours as opposed to just when the system is set

usually if we find no tampers on an install there will be other things missing - the battery in the bellbox is a comman one and often when the tampers are used they are connected in parallel rather than series - its another classic mistake

angus

Guest anguscanplay
i muat have been trained properly then :whistle: and im a sparks

and i always put a grommet in a back box too

i never installed the alarm, paid someone to do it. All my alarm cables are plastered into the wall so no open wires to cut, apart from a nail going through but i would of thought that would pop a fuse. The pir i have ordered is a dual-tec too, oh well. I will see how i go with false alarms. When connecting the pir into the system, do i need to enable the pir via the control panel or will it automatically work?

Guest anguscanplay
i never installed the alarm, paid someone to do it. All my alarm cables are plastered into the wall so no open wires to cut, apart from a nail going through but i would of thought that would pop a fuse. The pir i have ordered is a dual-tec too, oh well. I will see how i go with false alarms. When connecting the pir into the system, do i need to enable the pir via the control panel or will it automatically work?

depends if the original installer shorted the spare curcuits out and what the manf set that zone up to be and/or programmed them off - if thats the case you will need the engineer code too

I dont know the layout of your house, but is the only way into the lounge through the conservatory? If so why not leave the pir in the lounge but disconnect it, extend the cable through the wall and fit your new detector in the conservatory.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I dont know the layout of your house, but is the only way into the lounge through the conservatory? If so why not leave the pir in the lounge but disconnect it, extend the cable through the wall and fit your new detector in the conservatory.

yes, but there will be patio doors gaining access into the lounge then. Apart from that possible access is via front window, the hall which has its own pir and access into the kitchen is through the lounge but again that has its own pir.

I suppose its easier if i spur off the living room?

Guest anguscanplay
yes, but there will be patio doors gaining access into the lounge then. Apart from that possible access is via front window, the hall which has its own pir and access into the kitchen is through the lounge but again that has its own pir.

I suppose its easier if i spur off the living room?

whats actually going to be in this consevtry?

Guest anguscanplay
two chairs and a couple of speakers and maybe a light basically.

stick the duel/tech on the wall and dont wire it up - no false alarms either

Archived