Security Installer Community

Can I 'spur' Off An Existing Pir?

Gadge

I have put a conservatory on the back of the house. I have a pir in the living room, on the wall that the conservatory is on. I was wandering if i drilled straight through, i could tap off the existing pir?

or is this a big no no?

I have put a conservatory on the back of the house. I have a pir in the living room, on the wall that the conservatory is on. I was wandering if i drilled straight through, i could tap off the existing pir?

or is this a big no no?

hi Gadge,

depends on your own competance to implement this extension, but yes it will work.

it's not the best idea simply because if you get a false alarm on the 'lounge' zone, how will you know which detector actually caused it? also if your system isolates a zone after an alarm condition and auto rearms both detectors will be isolated. thats why we have separate zones also because a service engineers time costs money.

for you own needs this is not such a problem as long as you accept the situations possible drawbacks, i do advise what ever you do to use a duel-tec motion sensor, conservatories are prone to false alarms incidents especially from heat in the summer.

if you have a spare zone on the panel you might just have some spare cables that could be used, i.e. 8 core cable but only six cores used if your lucky, you should ask a competent alarm engineer to quote for the work, as i think it would be worth the expense to save the hassle.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

thanks for the reply. The cable used in the living room is 4 core, no spares :(

I have a dual-tec on its way to me to install. I may run a cable up to the main box in the loft as there are a few spare ways, but at least i know i can just come off the existing pir if i want to go that way :)

thanks

Guest anguscanplay

do you know what the control unit is - four cores is either a bad install to start with or a very good install using resistors

to do the job properly you need to seperate the conservtry onto its own zone - horrible places almost guarentee a false alarm even with a d/t

post the make and or installer of your system and it may save you some grief later

angus

The system is a SL compact. Without taking the cover off a pir or going into loft, when i changed the pir's over to pet friendlys, im sure i only seen 4 cables, but the other 2 cores could of been cut back, i will double check. If this is the case, can i share the power supply from the existing pir to the new pir and use the spare 2 cores as the switch?

Guest anguscanplay
The system is a SL compact. Without taking the cover off a pir or going into loft, when i changed the pir's over to pet friendlys, im sure i only seen 4 cables, but the other 2 cores could of been cut back, i will double check. If this is the case, can i share the power supply from the existing pir to the new pir and use the spare 2 cores as the switch?

be better using the "spare cores" for their proper use and connect the tampers - they dont just let you know that the covers have been removed they also protect the cable too

is the house cavity filled - hint hint if the c/u is in the loft

Just checked the living room pir, its 6 core. Green and white are available. Yes i had cavity wall insulation put in a while back, i did think off droping a new cable through there, i am a spark :)

So im ok to use these spare cores then, and share the supply?

yeah, tamper is'nt connected on the pir, dont think any are, it is on the main unit upstairs tho, set that off before today.

Guest anguscanplay
Just checked the living room pir, its 6 core. Green and white are available. Yes i had cavity wall insulation put in a while back, i did think off droping a new cable through there, i am a spark :)

So im ok to use these spare cores then, and share the supply?

no use your spark sense of doing a job properly ie run a new cable and connect the tampers on the existing system

its not really diy is it if you know how to do it right - i am sure you could give many examples of the " not quite right " electrical work you have seen in the past

Right, just checked all the pir's, all have one pair spair, and no tampers connected, surley there is a reason for not having these connected as its too obvoius and easy for them not to be.

By connecting them are they only going to benifit me by triggering the alarm if the cover is removed, but the pir would trigger before this?

Before i give my self extra work i just want to understand a little better, cheers.

Archived