Security Installer Community

Eurosec G-tag Prox Detector Installation

sd6446

there is a known bug with the keypads at the moment but i cant put my hand on the sheet they sent out with the fix - mail them again and ask if the two could be related - ask them about corrupt displays

angus

no that fix is not the answer, that fault is due to an enforced part replacement causing a data corruption issue on a batch of keypads.

i noiced there is always a slight flicker on the CPX keypads, so if this is found to be overly annoyong then switch off the keypad backlight (in keypad options). change from 'always on' so it only illuminates either when a key is pressed or on exit/entry.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

We have had problems with the 595 panel doing this if keypad runs are over 90mtrs. I would contact your supplier for more details but when i get back n the office tomm i will look up what the problem is.

thats a fair way for a keypad cable, i'd suggest double up on the 12 volt side (if you have spares) and/or fit a largish capacitor at or near the keypad end, to 'decouple' and smoothe the supply.

regs

alan

thats a fair way for a keypad cable, i'd suggest double up on the 12 volt side (if you have spares) and/or fit a largish capacitor at or near the keypad end, to 'decouple' and smoothe the supply.

regs

alan

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. For my own sannity I've now tried disconnecting anything that is likely to draw a current, and tried a shorter cable run to the RKP, but to no avail. Maybe, as suggested by Alan, I will have to either live with it, or switch off the backlight....

Thanks again,

Steve

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. For my own sannity I've now tried disconnecting anything that is likely to draw a current, and tried a shorter cable run to the RKP, but to no avail. Maybe, as suggested by Alan, I will have to either live with it, or switch off the backlight....

Thanks again,

Steve

if it's really driving you nutts, you could try and use a 220uf 35wkg electrolytic capacitor fitted at the keypad supply terminals, this might smooth the supply enough and overcome the flickering, you will just then need to bury the cap it in the plaster behind.

be careful though, they are polarity conscious, you can get a very spectacular and loud bang by reversing the voltage to them so can be a bit dangerous, as if it happens you could get a bit in your eye's, but imo all very funny to onlookers and costs a new set of underpants if your not expecting it.

regs

alan

if it's really driving you nutts, you could try and use a 220uf 35wkg electrolytic capacitor fitted at the keypad supply terminals, this might smooth the supply enough and overcome the flickering, you will just then need to bury the cap it in the plaster behind.

be careful though, they are polarity conscious, you can get a very spectacular and loud bang by reversing the voltage to them so can be a bit dangerous, as if it happens you could get a bit in your eye's, but imo all very funny to onlookers and costs a new set of underpants if your not expecting it.

regs

alan

Is this really appropriate advice for a DIY Forum? :no:

Is this really appropriate advice for a DIY Forum? :no:

an odd question Colin?.

it's very basic electronic's, as can be read in most any book on the subject of basic electronics and as sold in the high street or electronic hobby stores. and neither they, or the books generaly warn about any such dangers of reversing the polarity of such device's.

i concider this is a forum where information is given and idea's exchanged, there are many 'public only' members who are also new or inexperienced engineers who read through this information, having seen and this 'fix', they will now also be aware of a possible risk involved if and when employing it.

safety glasses have been around for a long time, we all know by now we 'should' wear them. but what do you suggest? if i advise someone he/she installs a shelf to place their DVR on, do i need to advise him/her to wear saftey spec's while operating the saw? or just to attach it in a sound fashion. like any reasonably careing person i would say 'be careful' of hidden hazards - which is exactely what i did.

regs

alan

an odd question Colin?.

it's very basic electronic's, as can be read in most any book on the subject of basic electronics and as sold in the high street or electronic hobby stores. and neither they, or the books generaly warn about any such dangers of reversing the polarity of such device's.

i concider this is a forum where information is given and idea's exchanged, there are many 'public only' members who are also new or inexperienced engineers who read through this information, having seen and this 'fix', they will now also be aware of a possible risk involved if and when employing it.

safety glasses have been around for a long time, we all know by now we 'should' wear them. but what do you suggest? if i advise someone he/she installs a shelf to place their DVR on, do i need to advise him/her to wear saftey spec's while operating the saw? or just to attach it in a sound fashion. like any reasonably careing person i would say 'be careful' of hidden hazards - which is exactely what i did.

regs

alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks once again. It's a good suggestion and had been considering this myself, but presumably a fairly large capacitor is required to have much effect? Anyway, in the mean time I've just had a call from a very helpful chap at Gardtec who has informed me that the tollerances of some components in older RKPs were poor, so has offered to replace it! As I've got 2 RKPs, I can put it to the test later today by trying the prox. on the other RKP (in the hope that the other RKP is ok!?). Will let you know the outcome.

cheers

Steve.

Guest anguscanplay
no that fix is not the answer, that fault is due to an enforced part replacement causing a data corruption issue on a batch of keypads.

i noiced there is always a slight flicker on the CPX keypads, so if this is found to be overly annoyong then switch off the keypad backlight (in keypad options). change from 'always on' so it only illuminates either when a key is pressed or on exit/entry.

regs

alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks once again. It's a good suggestion and had been considering this myself, but presumably a fairly large capacitor is required to have much effect? Anyway, in the mean time I've just had a call from a very helpful chap at Gardtec who has informed me that the tollerances of some components in older RKPs were poor, so has offered to replace it! As I've got 2 RKPs, I can put it to the test later today by trying the prox. on the other RKP (in the hope that the other RKP is ok!?). Will let you know the outcome.

cheers

Steve.

care to comment - as it says on the tech sheet there is a problem with some components corrupting data and other symptoms especially on LONG cable runs

second thought is there anything else wired on the same cable?

care to comment - as it says on the tech sheet there is a problem with some components corrupting data and other symptoms especially on LONG cable runs

this is not 'data corruption' but a flickering backlight, so what comment do you need then Angus? (i deduce it's a substantial georgean mansion with a CPX panel protecting it lol! ).

second thought is there anything else wired on the same cable?

now transpires there is actually 2 rkps and a prox reader off the same supply point, but he has cadged a replacement rkp for one of them.

regs

alan

Archived