Security Installer Community

Security Learning.

Well you learned something anyway, that is if your working on a PIR be very careful with the wiring as if you touch the power wires together the fuse will blow in an instant, so if practical remove this fuse from the panel / expander the pir your working on is connected to and replace it at the end.

I can honestly say been there done that on the test bench at work.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

You obviously didn't read the regs on that then?? :whistle:

Camerabloke has a cherry picker if I'm not mistaken... ;)

Also he is install and turns his phone off at night... ;);)

On a seperate note, he can fit systems extremely quicky and competently - I never heard of an out-of-hours call back on him .... :)

By the way Daz, I'm still waiting for those sky-hooks you were trying to sell me...

On a different note, Camerabloke is a very experienced and competent installer - I have yet to hear of an out-of-hours call back on him!

When I was an apprentice, I was given a booklet on BS4737 which detailed how and why stuff was installed - it was really helpful.

Has anyone heard of a similar verison for EN50131?

I recently paid for two courses for G2 & G3 but I didnt feel they were beneficial.

I have been asking the manufacturers but they all seem to have differnt opinions!!!

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

Camerabloke has a cherry picker if I'm not mistaken... ;)

Not any more

Also he is install and turns his phone off at night... ;);)

Not wrong

On a seperate note, he can fit systems extremely quicky and competently - I never heard of an out-of-hours call back on him .... :)

Thankyou James

By the way Daz, I'm still waiting for those sky-hooks you were trying to sell me

Still

Eucam Security Systems

0845 4630 746

www.eucam.co.uk

Guest anguscanplay
I started work at a security firm last November. They also do door entry, fire alarms, cctv.

Went round with my m8 until i got my own van in February. I have a A-level and a BTEC national in electronics

I've picked up the job really well. But where is the best place to learn. Yeah the regs are a good

place to start, but don't explain the nitty, gritty stuff. I've always got 3 or 4 really experienced engineers

on the phone if i stuff up. If anybody has some good learning resources I would be grateful.

regards

not if its my house he is working in it isnt

hats off for wanting to do the training thing correctly - go to college,listen to everything you are told and shown by the experienced guys and dont run before you can walk

Before I started this job I was a warehouse manager for focus. I've done quite a few installs on my own, the real thing

I'm having real problems with is learning the manual digi programming. Being able to program the M800 via the laptop

is a life saver. I love the real time monitoring.

Saturday was a classic, chubb windsor panel, didn't know the panel worked, but my boss said put the chip on test,

take the PA button & pir down enter the customer code and it will shut up. sorted, or so i thought. moved the pir and PA button,

put all the wires back excatly where they came from. Went down stairs, reset panel, ccts 1+2+3+4 tamper. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

two hours later, after working out how the tamper and alarm worked, I found I

I started work at a security firm last November. They also do door entry, fire alarms, cctv.

Went round with my m8 until i got my own van in February. I have a A-level and a BTEC national in electronics

I've picked up the job really well. But where is the best place to learn. Yeah the regs are a good

place to start, but don't explain the nitty, gritty stuff. I've always got 3 or 4 really experienced engineers

on the phone if i stuff up. If anybody has some good learning resources I would be grateful.

regards

Hi Homer79,

a warm welcome to the forums,

gaining trade experience is a life long thing, you will never know it all or stop learning, but you will become very proficient in time, depending on your own thirst for knowledge. as you get to meet and work your way out of 'tricky' faults, next time you know what to 'also' look for. this experience can be applied across many types of equipment you will come up against, and you will include that new info into your routine's.

set yourself up with a good basic routine approach, then modify and build on it as required. if on service or pm calls, before i lift a screwdriver i always thoroughly question the client, asking the same questions several different ways looking for inconsistency's, while comparing the answer's against what i know can happen and what i know can't, but always remember they are not engineers so will usually embellish or not give the full/accurate info.

this way you will illuminate many 'customer errors' before you need your meter, believe me many wild goose chase calls will be just down to the client miss operation, but never ever assume thats it is the case from the outset.

most experienced engineers could write a book and still not get it all wrote down, so their advice should always be sought

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
When I was an apprentice, I was given a booklet on BS4737 which detailed how and why stuff was installed - it was really helpful.

Has anyone heard of a similar verison for EN50131?

Any ideas / movement on this?

cheers

TSS

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

Any ideas / movement on this?

cheers

TSS

There is a City and Guilds exam called 185. BUT not many colleges do the course. A mate of mine runs a NSI gold company in Gloucestershire and he sends his son to Preston as that is the nearest place he could find the course.

Dave

regards

wish the traineesi get lumbered wif were as keen as you Homer, all they want to find out is where the nearest Big Mac can be found. I always found every time I dropped a bo...ck I learnt something, Good Luck

regards

wish the traineesi get lumbered wif were as keen as you Homer, all they want to find out is where the nearest Big Mac can be found. I always found every time I dropped a bo...ck I learnt something, Good Luck

Archived