Security Installer Community

Security Learning.

I started work at a security firm last November. They also do door entry, fire alarms, cctv.

Went round with my m8 until i got my own van in February. I have a A-level and a BTEC national in electronics

I've picked up the job really well. But where is the best place to learn. Yeah the regs are a good

place to start, but don't explain the nitty, gritty stuff. I've always got 3 or 4 really experienced engineers

on the phone if i stuff up. If anybody has some good learning resources I would be grateful.

regards

Guest anguscanplay
I started work at a security firm last November. They also do door entry, fire alarms, cctv.

Went round with my m8 until i got my own van in February. I have a A-level and a BTEC national in electronics

I've picked up the job really well. But where is the best place to learn. Yeah the regs are a good

place to start, but don't explain the nitty, gritty stuff. I've always got 3 or 4 really experienced engineers

on the phone if i stuff up. If anybody has some good learning resources I would be grateful.

regards

hi homer welcome to the bun fight

what did you do before you got in to this industry?

it just seems in this industry it is just "picked up". just keep plodding along mate and you will learn a lot. ask for the jobs that no one else wants to do, as being dropped in it is a good way imo to learn fast

Eucam Security Systems

0845 4630 746

www.eucam.co.uk

As the other guys have said, going out there and doing it on your own is the best way of learning in this job. I would say to start you should try to familiarize yourself with the equipment your company uses. Ask to take home a couple of control panels (a grade 2 and a grade 3) for a couple of weeks and get used to the programming and wiring. Every panel has it's own quirks and sussing these out at home will save you a big headache on site with a customer complaining about how they should have been at home an hour ago...

What sort of jobs are you being sent to? Basic intruder alarm servicing is good for building up confidence in working with different systems and dealing with customers (important part of the job). I have serviced plenty of systems with panels that I knew only a bit about, but I now know a lot more through working with them for a while.

Don't be afraid of asking your colleagues about what they are doing and why they are doing it. For instance, there are lots of things to check after a false alarm (circuit resistance, voltages, shorts to earth, induced AC, environmental problems, moisture ingress, corrosion etc) but it helps to know why you are checking these things and how all these things affect the system. The best way of finding out is to ask!

Trade Member

Guest anguscanplay
As the other guys have said, going out there and doing it on your own is the best way of learning in this job.

Don't be afraid of asking your colleagues about what they are doing and why they are doing it. For instance, there are lots of things to check after a false alarm (circuit resistance, voltages, shorts to earth, induced AC, environmental problems, moisture ingress, corrosion etc) but it helps to know why you are checking these things and how all these things affect the system. The best way of finding out is to ask!

not if its my house he is working in it isnt

hats off for wanting to do the training thing correctly - go to college,listen to everything you are told and shown by the experienced guys and dont run before you can walk

hats off for wanting to do the training thing correctly - go to college,listen to everything you are told and shown by the experienced guys and dont run before you can walk

Sorry, but no college course on earth will teach you the "nitty gritty" of this job.

Trade Member

you could always drive to college at 3 in the morning in the rain, get the ladders off and look at the bell for half an hour. that will give you some training :whistle:

You obviously didn't read the regs on that then?? :whistle:

Before I started this job I was a warehouse manager for focus. I've done quite a few installs on my own, the real thing

I'm having real problems with is learning the manual digi programming. Being able to program the M800 via the laptop

is a life saver. I love the real time monitoring.

Saturday was a classic, chubb windsor panel, didn't know the panel worked, but my boss said put the chip on test,

take the PA button & pir down enter the customer code and it will shut up. sorted, or so i thought. moved the pir and PA button,

put all the wires back excatly where they came from. Went down stairs, reset panel, ccts 1+2+3+4 tamper. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

two hours later, after working out how the tamper and alarm worked, I found I

Archived