Security Installer Community

False Alarms With Dual Tech

eli

Hi all,

I incountered a problem recentlly when installing a x band dual tech detector: I am getting false alarms constantlly. The walls of the room is plasterboard, but the only movement around the detector can be FROM BEHIND IT! Can it be that the MW sensor detects from behind? Did anyone encounter this problem, and if so can you suggest a solution for me?

A DT needs 2 principles to operate, commonly Passive Infra Red & microwave technology. The DT is used in an envrionment where a standard PIR won't cope, therfore there may be a chance that the PIR side is frequently in fault at your installation. The microwave side can be affected by other influences. It should be noted that a microwaves will pass through glass and brick, therefore the range at which you set the detection needs to be adjusted carefully to the size of the room otherwise something moving outside can trigger it. Lastly, any moving metalic objects in the room, such as fans, cause the microwaves to be bounced all over the place, sending the required doppler effect into chaos.

I went up into the attic...I found a Stradavarius & a Picasso. Unfortunately.....

Stradavarius couldn't paint, and Picasso made a shocking fiddle.

My Facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1279556853&ref=name

i was under the impression that dual techs or dt's (as they are also known) needed both microwave and heat detection to activate the sensor alarm signal, sounds like it hasnt been set up properly :no:

He wasn't shouting, he was emphasising the specific issue. A fact you seem to have missed completely.

A DT needs 2 principles to operate, commonly Passive Infra Red & microwave technology. The DT is used in an envrionment where a standard PIR won't cope, therfore there may be a chance that the PIR side is frequently in fault at your installation. The microwave side can be affected by other influences. It should be noted that a microwaves will pass through glass and brick, therefore the range at which you set the detection needs to be adjusted carefully to the size of the room otherwise something moving outside can trigger it. Lastly, any moving metalic objects in the room, such as fans, cause the microwaves to be bounced all over the place, sending the required doppler effect into chaos.

nikko,

you are right, the PIR is frequantly at fault in this installation, this is why I used D/T, but I didn't think the detector will also penetrate the wall from behind. do you have expiriance with this kind of problem? If so what can be done?

Guest anguscanplay
nikko,

you are right, the PIR is frequantly at fault in this installation, this is why I used D/T, but I didn't think the detector will also penetrate the wall from behind. do you have expiriance with this kind of problem? If so what can be done?

hi eli is this for yourself or are you installing profesionally

what make of d/t are you using - it cant detect "from behind" as the coverage pattern is usually a ballon shape

microwave`s will pick up a totally different set of triggers than a pir - water pipes are a little known problem

is the mounting surface rock solid - could a door slamming be shaking the sensor

are you sure the microwve is on ie did you replace the lid whilst the sensor was powered up - it will could see this as a blockage and switch to pir only

are the links corrctly sited internally - you may have switched the microwave off

does the sensor need a switched input when set to enable the microwave - so called green technology

next step is to post which color lights are showing at different states - unset,set, triggered and stable along with the manf name and model no

The microwave part of a DT can detect up to 1 metre behind it, this is why they should not be mounted 'back to back' as they can interfere with each other. Look in the instructions for any DT.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest anguscanplay
The microwave part of a DT can detect up to 1 metre behind it, this is why they should not be mounted 'back to back' as they can interfere with each other. Look in the instructions for any DT.

we never had a problem with them " seeing behind themselves"

rockonet i wise - shows ballon shape with dead spot each side and behind

always seeing them screwed together at right angles in the local supermaket?

two in the same room looking directly at each over - not so sure

Hi all,

I incountered a problem recentlly when installing a x band dual tech detector: I am getting false alarms constantlly. The walls of the room is plasterboard, but the only movement around the detector can be FROM BEHIND IT! Can it be that the MW sensor detects from behind? Did anyone encounter this problem, and if so can you suggest a solution for me?

don't wish to teach granny how to suck eggs BUT i presume there is no vibration/movement on the plasterboard wall ... it must be fixed to a stable surface to prevent false alarms for obvious reasons

Mister G

Archived