Security Installer Community

Ladder For Cctv / Alarm Installs

But if the mains are off and electrically isolated - and secured, as they should be, what does it matter?

Mind you, it didn't stop the sparky from Parkersell using metal stepladders repairing the lights in the Cafe in Sainsury's in Ashton on Wednesday...he was working live. Such hilarity when he forgot and shorted live to earth. And yes, the cafe was open!

hi Cubit,

i got tagged by an officious sparks on a school in January for using metal steps when putting up the psu for a door entry system. i assume he wanted the job but lost out. i then explained my work did not present a danger from shock as the spur which his company should have completed before advising the client on getting me in, was not in place - left him a little bit red faced as i have a very very loud voice to go with my very big mouth - priceless!

that aside, a lot of camera's are 240 mains operation, so if your focusing with a test monitor you should be on properly insulated/mo-conductive steps.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

that aside, a lot of camera's are 240 mains operation, so if your focusing with a test monitor you should be on properly insulated/mo-conductive steps.

regs

alan

Hi Alan

Why??

If it ain't safe to touch when power applied, you should not be touching it. I don't see how metal or non metal ladders come into it.

Alan do you drink from the tap at home ?

If so this is earth bonded to the rest of the equipment in your home.

I am sure you dont have a rubber mat in your bathroom next to the sink ??

The telescopic ladders mentioned earlier are really useful to get into attics in large, expensively decorated houses as they are so easy to carry round the house without any fear of damage.

I have a pair of Telesteps ladders and also steps. The ladders are brilliant but the steps are flakey.

As for the Telesteps ladders they are also brilliant for carrying up to the 10th floor of an office block to work in a riser :yes:

cheers

Dave

Hi Alan

Why??

If it ain't safe to touch when power applied, you should not be touching it. I don't see how metal or non metal ladders come into it.

hi Cubit,

the problem is other peoples work and/or your own mistakes, and we all make them from time to time, be it mis-wires or believing the power came from that breaker when it did not.

i don't care who you are - why, because hands up who has never ever had a shock at mains potential?. so should you touch a live case then you are better served by insulted access equipment like fiber glass steps.

trust me in this - never trust anyone else with your life or anyone else;s as the 'sorry' is always to late when mistakes happen.

regs

alan

Alan do you drink from the tap at home ?

If so this is earth bonded to the rest of the equipment in your home.

I am sure you dont have a rubber mat in your bathroom next to the sink ??

fascinating and totally irrelevant question,

we are discussing professional ways of working with all the responsibilities and duty of care to staff and customers that involves us with as tradesmen and companies.

what i do in the privacy of my own bathroom would be edited should i ever make it known, but also has no bearing on the above either - but for reference i do have a rubber mat in both the shower and bath - to help spread the load ;)

regs

alan

Archived