Security Installer Community

Network Over Mains

Has anyone used the Network over mains modules to transmit IP cameras?

I have found one from Devolo which claims 200Mbps at distances of 200 metres. Does this mean to go 400 metres I could go

Camera -> Network to Mains adaptor -> 200m Mains -> Mains to Network adaptor -> switcher -> Network to Mains adaptor -> 200m Mains -> Mains to Network adaptor -> recorder ???

cheers for any help

Has anyone used the Network over mains modules to transmit IP cameras?

I have found one from Devolo which claims 200Mbps at distances of 200 metres. Does this mean to go 400 metres I could go

Camera -> Network to Mains adaptor -> 200m Mains -> Mains to Network adaptor -> switcher -> Network to Mains adaptor -> 200m Mains -> Mains to Network adaptor -> recorder ???

cheers for any help

200 meters sounds quite good. But are there any sites out there with these sized premises that don't have single phase? Never dealt with mains networking but I would have thought it's dependent on single phase. I could be wrong though but it does seem to add up what I mention.

ACE.gif

Hi

The application is specifically a stately home with mains lighting all over the garden and mains running the electric gates at the end of the drive some 400 metres away, I am not an electrician, is there a way to check the phase/ continuity?

You need to look at the mains. Stately home suggests large so every possibility its 3 phase. As i understand it, Network over mains must be on same phase and no ELCB and RCDs either.

Hi

The application is specifically a stately home with mains lighting all over the garden and mains running the electric gates at the end of the drive some 400 metres away, I am not an electrician, is there a way to check the phase/ continuity?

Just a suggestion UHR, but maybe have a look at the model plate / wiring on the gate drive motor; it would hopefully indicate whether it's a single phase motor ... or not.

I tried to do cat5 transmission over 3 pahse and it DOES NOT WORK it must be on the same phase.

Agreed, we had loads of problems on a site with 3 phase and cat 5.

Just a suggestion UHR, but maybe have a look at the model plate / wiring on the gate drive motor; it would hopefully indicate whether it's a single phase motor ... or not.

Not necessarily proof. Motor could be single phase...but on a different phase to say the PC/Router.

Yeah I've read reviews of items similar to what your looking at and they clearly tell you that you cannot fit anything in the way of them they both have to be plugged into sockets and be on the same phase - no Surge protectors, it's even recommended you don't plug it into a 4-way extension either.

Also they way your planning it would WORK but only and I say ONLY if the 2 sockets either side of the switcher were on different phases as other wise you'd get interferance as each unit tried to transmitted on very similar frequencies.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Archived