Security Installer Community

Cat Detector

moon

Hello everyone,

I need advice on detectors suitable to detect when my cats use the kitty litter tray. Sounds a bit petty, but I'm amazed how much smell comes out of a 2Kg beastie.

• I want the detector to trigger a 240v fan installed in the wall near the tray.
  • The room is a narrow utility room (1m x 3m), and the tray is at the far end from the door.
  • The room has a window and clear plastic roof (in case the light conditions are relevant).
  • Ideally the detector range would be limited to the immediate vicinity of the tray to prevent excessive false triggering as we use the door end of the room a lot.
  • A time delay switch off is required, but this can be done by the fan unit if required.
  • Simplicity and low cost are desirable!

I've searched the web until my eyes bled, but I keep coming up with PIRs designed to ignore pets!

Thanks for getting this far!

Regards,

Moon

A room occupancy detector (normally used in lighting systems) with bracket would be available from your local electrical retailer. They would be the best place to gain advice on this subject.

Topic moved to electrics section.

Hello everyone,

I need advice on detectors suitable to detect when my cats use the kitty litter tray. Sounds a bit petty, but I'm amazed how much smell comes out of a 2Kg beastie.

• I want the detector to trigger a 240v fan installed in the wall near the tray.
  • The room is a narrow utility room (1m x 3m), and the tray is at the far end from the door.
  • The room has a window and clear plastic roof (in case the light conditions are relevant).
  • Ideally the detector range would be limited to the immediate vicinity of the tray to prevent excessive false triggering as we use the door end of the room a lot.
  • A time delay switch off is required, but this can be done by the fan unit if required.

I've searched the web until my eyes bled, but I keep coming up with PIRs designed to ignore pets!

Regards,

Moon

hi moon,

got to say, the initial reading of the fan + vent idea, gave me cartoon vision's of the cat just about to squat down for buisness and being sucked straight out into the garden :rolleyes:

the simplest thing would be a pressure switch on the tray, cat gets in tray activating switch operating a signal and the fan (and ejecting cat lol ;) ) .

you could use an old set of bath scales as a platform for the tray and a micro switch, if your really clever it could weigh the cat on and off, then decide by deduction of weight, if No1's or No2's were effected based on the remaining 'load' differential, so on 2's it operates an air freshener too :P

can't type no more as psml to much - sorry mate!

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

you could use an old set of bath scales as a platform for the tray and a micro switch, if your really clever it could weigh the cat on and off, then decide by deduction of weight, if No1's or No2's were effected based on the remaining 'load' differential, so on 2's it operates an air freshener too :P

HAHA I love this idea, I think I'll build one ! :D

Hello everyone,

Regards,

Moon

Easy way get a momenry switch with a little spring pressure (enough to hold off with the tray on top) cut it into a wood plate laid flat on the floor, cat on tray, switch closed, fan working. Would suggest using a 12v supply for the control circut (any old wall wart adaptor will do) and a suitable octal style 12v coil relay suitable for switching the fan. Get a sparks to do the 240v bit or do so at your own risk!

PIR will turn the fan on every time cat/person walks past, you could rob a PIR off of a cheap PIR flood light and use a "mask" of tape or paint on the PIR lens to narrow the view right down, allows you to use the PIR to time the fan if it's cheaper?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

HAHA I love this idea, I think I'll build one ! :D

perhaps we should get together and patent it :)

another idea would be a simple photo cell placed on the diagonal, corner to corner, interupted beam will give your signal.

just another design thought -:

you could prevent 'false alarms' due to a change of mind (or mis-diagnosis by th cat) - by fitting a gas or smoke detector.

conversly, you could get a 'confirmed' signal by using a fixed 'heat' detector.

maybe an automatic 'distress' signal (in case of tummy upsets) with a 'rate of rise' detector preferably connected to a bilge pump, or a sprinkler (especially if it eats indian food).

this is getting so good we could even produce one for humans too, who would buy it? the japanes have some very eficient fawcets, ever been to a road services in france? not a tap or handle all auto waterworks.

sorry again for the silly childish stuff, but the thoughts are just killing me at the moment, and the 'ruling half' thinks i've totally 'lost it' (again).

:new_rofl:

regs

alan

perhaps we should get together and patent it :)

another idea would be a simple photo cell placed on the diagonal, corner to corner, interupted beam will give your signal.

just another design thought -:

you could prevent 'false alarms' due to a change of mind (or mis-diagnosis by th cat) - by fitting a gas or smoke detector.

conversly, you could get a 'confirmed' signal by using a fixed 'heat' detector.

maybe an automatic 'distress' signal (in case of tummy upsets) with a 'rate of rise' detector preferably connected to a bilge pump, or a sprinkler (especially if it eats indian food).

this is getting so good we could even produce one for humans too, who would buy it? the japanes have some very eficient fawcets, ever been to a road services in france? not a tap or handle all auto waterworks.

sorry again for the silly childish stuff, but the thoughts are just killing me at the moment, and the 'ruling half' thinks i've totally 'lost it' (again).

:new_rofl:

regs

alan

You forgot "double knock" and "pulse count" !!!!!! :yes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

You forgot "double knock" and "pulse count" !!!!!! :yes:

lol,

i'll add 'trembeler'

what a coincidence this is as never seen it before in the year on here, when i replied the board it threw this 'error' up, and i quote

"Flood control is enabled on this board, please wait 20 seconds before replying or posting a new topic"

i kid you not, just shows even the TSI server has a well develpoed sense of humour.

my sides are just aching now - better stop before i go pop

regs

alan

Archived