Security Installer Community

Texecom V8 Tamper Alarm Caused By Lights

daves

The tamper alarm comes on the control panel when a light is switched on/off - I have traced the fused spur and it

is wired into the lighting ring - is this usual?

The tamper lights up all the zone lights , the external bell dosn't sound - just the buzzer on the panel. It can go weeks without happening , then

other days it will trigger 4-5 times in a row when a light is switched on or off - any idea on if a new circuit board would fix this , or does the

power need to come from the socket ring rather than the lighting?

btw i have disconnected the tamper circuit from the internal zones , so just the bell box is left on - this made no difference.

thanks

Dave

The tamper alarm comes on the control panel when a light is switched on/off - I have traced the fused spur and it

some people do this, sometimes it is the most convinient circuit.

The tamper lights up all the zone lights , the external bell dosn't sound - just the buzzer on the panel. It can go weeks without happening , then

other days it will trigger 4-5 times in a row when a light is switched on or off - any idea on if a new circuit board would fix this , or does the

not necessarily the case,but is prefered.

btw i have disconnected the tamper circuit from the internal zones , so just the bell box is left on - this made no difference.

thanks

Dave

the power coming in should not effect the panel, other than to make it work. i cannot understand why the light being switched on should effect the alarm panel. may be wise to call an electrician to look at the electrics.

as for the alarm, a tamper indicator, means a open tamper circuit and this needs to be located and sorted.

just thought, you say you traced the feed back to the lighting circuit, surely its not wired into the switch which is affecting the alarm?

:o

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

please be careful of working with mains voltages, if your not sure or competant just don't touch and get someone in who is.

can you name the panel? this will attract those who fit that model to reply, and most likely know of any 'quirks'.

i thoughts are maybe you standby battery is getting to it's end of life stage, the other question is have you got florescent or energy saving bulbs? the startup can cause conciderable electrical interferance, and may be the cause.

you system only draws a small ammount of current so not relly a problem if tacked onto a lighting circuit for power, as long as protected by appropriat fuse rating in the spur (3amp). personally i prefer powering off the ring main as if the lights go out, i can't see what i'm doing, and nor can you (assuming a local fault).

moving the supply to the ring main, may manifest itself in tamper alarms being caused by kettles, washing machines and fridges etc., battery seems obvious 1st port of call. again be careful as openning the control panel you may be struck by an unsecured falling battery - ouch! will be your next comment in that case.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

can you name the panel? this will attract those who fit that model to reply, and most likely know of any 'quirks'.

:IDEA: reads tittle......

Texecom V8 Tamper Alarm Caused By Lights

Thanks for the replies - yes the supply has a 3amp fuse on , virtually all the bulbs are energy saving - no flourescent tubes though.

The panel isn't wired into a switch - and it varies which switch triggers the tamper.

I wondered if there was some sort of voltage drop being caused by the lights which was triggering the tamper - we had a new consumer unit last year & the

electrics were checked then , the alarm was doing this before the unit was changed & continued afterwards - as usual when we wanted it to happen for the electircian

so see - it worked fine.

We have been in the house 6 years - so the battery is at least that old - so it would make sense to start there.

Dave

Thanks for the replies - yes the supply has a 3amp fuse on , virtually all the bulbs are energy saving ( compact fluorescents) - no flourescent tubes though.

induced ac + duff battery

sorry not much help, but if the battery is that old. then change it asap.

be interested to see if this resolves your problem.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Thanks for the replies - yes the supply has a 3amp fuse on , virtually all the bulbs are energy saving - no flourescent tubes though.

The panel isn't wired into a switch - and it varies which switch triggers the tamper.

I wondered if there was some sort of voltage drop being caused by the lights which was triggering the tamper - we had a new consumer unit last year & the

electrics were checked then , the alarm was doing this before the unit was changed & continued afterwards - as usual when we wanted it to happen for the electircian

so see - it worked fine.

We have been in the house 6 years - so the battery is at least that old - so it would make sense to start there.

Dave

hi Dave,

definetely get the battery swapped out, i change them at 2 years, as for what they cost it's just not an argument.

the lighting going on cause's interferrence (RFI), which you can hear on on a radio. this is seen as a 'signal' if the alarm power supply is not at it's best. the battery (if in good codition) helps smooth out any such transients apearing on the low voltage side.

there are filters available from maplins and rs components, but as these are directly connected to potntially lethal mains voltage's you need a competant engineer to instal it for your own safety.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived