Security Installer Community

Phone Problem

bellringer

It is a newish house i am only one thats lived there - the master socket is in lounge and been unused

Is the wiring visible (i.e. standard BT surface-fixed) or hidden under floorboards and chased in etc ?

If all hidden, likely to have been installed but the builders, but could be they left it disconnected etc but with a joint through for the extension.

Of course might it be that the point is cabled correctly on the working circuit but its a simple as a faulty linejack, perhaps bent pins etc, so the line gets there and extension wires off back ok but no connection to the BT431a plug on the telephone ?

Just a few ideas.

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

Is the wiring visible (i.e. standard BT surface-fixed) or hidden under floorboards and chased in etc ?

If all hidden, likely to have been installed but the builders, but could be they left it disconnected etc but with a joint through for the extension.

Of course might it be that the point is cabled correctly on the working circuit but its a simple as a faulty linejack, perhaps bent pins etc, so the line gets there and extension wires off back ok but no connection to the BT431a plug on the telephone ?

Just a few ideas.

Simon

The cables are up the outside of house and it looks like the extension is connected from he outside and i have just found that the upstairs doesnt work either only the extension,

when we moved in I got the builder to put the extension in and have never used the one where master socket is.?

I have looked and outside the cables connects to a cable that runs round the house (extension) there looks to be 3 wires from the "mains" that go around the house to the socket that works.

how do i connect into the cable to "fire" up the socket in lounge?

ta

Sorry if I missed something here? Have you pulled off the front of the BT master socket and tested it yet?

Newish house with cables outside? Who did that?? Is there a j-box outside or what?

Where are you connecting these 3 wires too?

Need more info to help you further Bellman....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

From an X- comms engineer, if you can dial out and hear the lady on the other end and it cuts out, it could well be a fault on the line, or you have exceeded your REN. Try this, and its a useful number for all engineers wanting to test a line.

Dial ####, "BT line test facility" Ex directory number removed by mod. AG.

If its an X-Directory line you will not get the optiuon for a ringback test, if it is Press 4 and clear down (Hang up)

The handset should ring back in 5 seconds. If it doesn't check pins 3 and 4 are punched into the secondary output on the Master.

If the problem persists, then its a call to BT, But as previously mentioned, they will charge you, unless your a tall blond who does cash in hand jobs.....

Richard

www.accesscontrol.ie

richard.huison@accesscontrol.ie

ACT "Where performance counts"

"Is your Access Control system Vista Ready?"

From an X- comms engineer, if you can dial out and hear the lady on the other end and it cuts out, it could well be a fault on the line, or you have exceeded your REN. Try this, and its a useful number for all engineers wanting to test a line.

Dial *****, "BT line test facility"

If its an X-Directory line you will not get the optiuon for a ringback test, if it is Press 4 and clear down (Hang up)

Richard

Try 1470 ***** (Mods don't like this number in public) this will then give you all options, however I think there is a pin number being used as well sometimes now.... :fear:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Archived