Security Installer Community

Bt Inspiration - Busy Lines!

Andyfrodsham

Just bought a secondhand Inspiration system on Ebay (although the seller was local to me). It has two PSTN cards fitted giving a total of four lines. I have tested the system (having reset the everything to the default settings) and cannot get the extensions to obtain either Line1 or Line2 on the system. The extensions report that the line is busy. Lines 3 and 4 are fine.

I have swapped around the two PSTN cards and the situation remains the same.

Is there something I am missing?

Regards

• 2 years later...
Just bought a secondhand Inspiration system on Ebay (although the seller was local to me). It has two PSTN cards fitted giving a total of four lines. I have tested the system (having reset the everything to the default settings) and cannot get the extensions to obtain either Line1 or Line2 on the system. The extensions report that the line is busy. Lines 3 and 4 are fine.

I have swapped around the two PSTN cards and the situation remains the same.

Is there something I am missing?

Regards

Hi there,

I have a BT Inspiration system, also purchased from ebay with the Busy message displayed on system phones when trying to select an outgoing line.

My system came equipped with 3 ISDN line cards, 1 ISDN upgrade card and a voice mail card - the package included 3 system phones too. I have removed the 4 ISDN cards and installed a PSTN card into slot 1 and have cabled up 2 analogue lines into the ABCD connectors. I have worked out which wires to use and have connected them accordingly. I am getting a Busy message on the system phones when selecting a line. Internal calls work fine. I have tried reversing the wires onto the krone block but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

I have a BT Inspiration system, also purchased from ebay with the Busy message displayed on system phones when trying to select an outgoing line.

My system came equipped with 3 ISDN line cards, 1 ISDN upgrade card and a voice mail card - the package included 3 system phones too. I have removed the 4 ISDN cards and installed a PSTN card into slot 1 and have cabled up 2 analogue lines into the ABCD connectors. I have worked out which wires to use and have connected them accordingly. I am getting a Busy message on the system phones when selecting a line. Internal calls work fine. I have tried reversing the wires onto the krone block but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I have also tried using the pstn card in the second slot which then enabled line3 & line4 whilst disabling line1 & line2 within the system programming.

I have sort of eliminated everything except the incomming lines themselves which I have also eliminated more than once. I have checked, researched, rechecked, re researched, etc and am convinced I have cabled them corectly. If not corectly then in reverse, which I have also eliminated. :(

I've got a similar problem .... I thought it was just me. What's going on here?

I've just got 1 card, but if I put it in to use lines 1 & 2 it won't work .... but put it into the second slot for lines 3 & 4 and it's fine.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Hi there,

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I have also tried using the pstn card in the second slot which then enabled line3 & line4 whilst disabling line1 & line2 within the system programming.

I have sort of eliminated everything except the incomming lines themselves which I have also eliminated more than once. I have checked, researched, rechecked, re researched, etc and am convinced I have cabled them corectly. If not corectly then in reverse, which I have also eliminated. :(

Systems on Ebay are often there as they have suffered line failures. The most common issue with telephone systems is faulty CO lines due to lightning etc.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

Systems on Ebay are often there as they have suffered line failures. The most common issue with telephone systems is faulty CO lines due to lightning etc.

I have got to the bottom of my problem :)

Line 2 is working absolutely fine. I connected a piece of CAT5 from the back of the master socket direct to C&D in the PBX and it started to work.

Line 1 is a different story. If I connect it directly to the PBX using the same method as line 2 it works fine provided I dont connect the broadband.

But since this line is broadband enabled I need to filter the DSL signal before it gets to the PBX. This is something I havent been able to do yet as once the filter is installed, even tho I can plug an analogue phone in and make a call the PBX wont reckognise the line. The BT engineers I have been speaking too say its a frequency problem and that the PBX and the DSL cant be used together on the same line. They recommended I pay for yet another line and that I will always have one of them, with broadband on it, that I cant use for anything :(

Line 1 is our main line that we have put on our letterheads, business cards, signs, etc. So in the short term I have asked BT to put the DSL circuit onto Line 2. I have to wait 5 working days for this to take effect.

Even after this has been done I am only going to have 1 line going into the PBX and 1 line with broadband enabled that wont :(

Has anyone managed to get a PBX installed onto a DSL enabled line and what did you do to make the PBX reckognise it?

Thanks in advance.

I think it's the way a PBX works if especially if there is a 2nd line involved as often they will put this in as "ISDN" style line which is about as compatible with DSL as a chocolate watch is to tell the time in the sahara.

Broadband + any other telephone kit, fax / telex etc works fine, just not a PBX.

So that is a no.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

That seems odd. I've got a similar set-up; 2 lines, one of which has broadband, and that works fine with my inspiration. No conflicts at all ..... Maybe try a different filter?

AG want to check which line it is that's got the BB on it might find it's not line 1, I suppose it might depend on the PBX software version.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

AG want to check which line it is that's got the BB on it might find it's not line 1, I suppose it might depend on the PBX software version.

It's my main line .... which is line 3 in my Inspiration. (I don't use lines 1 & 2 cos they don't work)

It's my main line .... which is line 3 in my Inspiration. (I don't use lines 1 & 2 cos they don't work)

Is your second line on the same number as the first? (nothing to do with ISDN, as you have standard lines). These are known as access lines (more than one line on a single number).

If it is an access line, DSL is not generally provided.

If it is a different number then DSL can be provided and can be used with the phone system - I have never had issues as long as you filter the line before presenting to the PBX (Gen yourself one of these: http://www.tait-components.com/Telecoms/AD...DC-271705.html)

This gives you an unfiltered RJ11 for your DSL modem/router and you can connect the PBX to the rear filtered terminals.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

Archived