Security Installer Community

Alarm Systems And Voip

MarkA

I need to get an alarm system into a new apartment and at least get a voice/text dialler or maybe even a monitored service.

However the problem I have is that I won't have a standard PSTN phone line, instead the apartment has a fibre optic service running to the apartment building

with TV, Broadband and phone service being delivered to each apartment using Cat 5 ethernet cable. The phone service I assume uses Voice over IP technology.

So do voice/text dialler systems work over VoIP systems?

And if no, are there any alternative solutions that would work?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

I need to get an alarm system into a new apartment and at least get a voice/text dialler or maybe even a monitored service.

However the problem I have is that I won't have a standard PSTN phone line, instead the apartment has a fibre optic service running to the apartment building

with TV, Broadband and phone service being delivered to each apartment using Cat 5 ethernet cable. The phone service I assume uses Voice over IP technology.

So do voice/text dialler systems work over VoIP systems?

And if no, are there any alternative solutions that would work?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Is there one cable for the phone and one for the TV?

If so I would think that there is possibly an analogue phone facility.

If not there should be a cable adaptor that in theory would have the analogue port in it.

I can't imagine there will only be voip?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Well the apartment only has RJ45 connections. The service supplier supplies an ATA which allows you to use a standard analogue phone with the service.

However once on the network, unlike with a standard phone line, the traffic is digitised and carried over Internet Protocol.

This can interfere with some analogue devices such as analogue modems, fax, sky boxes, etc.

So it would depend on how the voice diallers and monitored alarm systems work.

Do they work just using voice or do they use lower level features of a PSTN telephone network?

Well the apartment only has RJ45 connections. The service supplier supplies an ATA which allows you to use a standard analogue phone with the service.

Definitely talk to the premises manager, you won't be alone in having this problem and it's usually easy to solve.

Behind all the RJ45 there's bound to be patch panels etc. so you WILL be able to get whatever (within reason) signal/connection you need to individual flats from some SECURE central communications room/cupboard. :whistle:

If the building layout isn't suitable they may even need to build a special room for the security stuff - I remember having to do that in a new office block that was just too "open plan". :rolleyes:

Theoreticaly you can just plug a dialler into an ATA and it will work. The actual level of 'working' will depend on the ATA used, the VoIP provider and the ISP. There's also the reliability of the network itself.

Although more costly, I'd be wanting a monitored service using the IP network.

Archived