Security Installer Community

Vertical Mount VCR

Guest Mark-Brown

Guest Mark-Brown

I am using the old Response Electronics TV Eye 4000 household 4 camera CCTV system with VCR controller. The VCR itself is in a secured location but is has to be mounted flat against the wall rather than flat on the shelf. It is then also spun through around 30 degrees from the vertical in the horizontal plane in order that I can access the tape slot. As it is only a domestic/budget model it regularly jams the tape and ceases to record. I assume this is enevitable due to the its vertical mount.

Are there budget VCR's that can be used mounted at any angle without the tape jamming? Or are we into Digital HD technology?

I know there are professional models used in the TV media industry which are shoulder mounted but this is massive overkill for what I need.

Any advice?

Hi Mark,

Colin's idea seems best,

I once took over a site where the previous company (approved) had mounted 8 VCR's on their side to save space :o (it was a college and each VCR recorded an individual covert camera for some bizzare reason (great salesman!!)), these had all caused problems over a short period of time and were replaced for 1 digital recorder (which wasn't offered as a solution by the previous company) B)

All the recorders were high end & good quality, but ultimateley they are designed for use on a flat surface due to the mechanicals and bearings involved.

regards...

Norm

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Guest Mark-Brown

Thanks for this... Yes, I was considering a HD (it was in my original question) but they are obviously more pricey. I was using an old VCR because I had one spare and it was simple to take the AV in from a TV Aerial.

I guess I need to do some research on the HD options. What sort of signal inputs to they accept? Will it run all the time or switch on with the same VCR controller when the Cam PIR is triggered?

Is there a place I could start that research? Ta.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheapest DVR i know of cost around £232, will record 4 camera inputs on a 80GB hard drive, it is also made to be vertically mounted(according to the sales sheet i received). This should give 200 hrs of recording @ 4 fps.

As for connecting the camera your using, i have no idea but i would think its possible.

It also has up to 4 alarm inputs so your pir should be fine!

Check out www.cop-eu.com I have never used them but theyre prices are very competitive.

Archived