Security Installer Community

Dedicated Micros

abbz

customer of mine wants to upgrade his digital sprite 2 to accomadate a 2nd hard drive. i remember a topic way back about it isnt just a case of getting an additional harddrive and pluging it in. i have tried talking to DM but they say they do support the end user adding an additional hard drive and that the unit has to sent back to them but he did hint that the drive has to be formatted to type fat32 which seeing its a 320gb hard drive the customer wants i didnt think was possible unless its partitioned. can anyone shed any light on this matter.

customer of mine wants to upgrade his digital sprite 2 to accomadate a 2nd hard drive. i remember a topic way back about it isnt just a case of getting an additional harddrive and pluging it in. i have tried talking to DM but they say they do support the end user adding an additional hard drive and that the unit has to sent back to them but he did hint that the drive has to be formatted to type fat32 which seeing its a 320gb hard drive the customer wants i didnt think was possible unless its partitioned. can anyone shed any light on this matter.

Hi Abbz,

Will not sending the unit back to DM for upgrade affect the system's warrenty? Or is it past all that?

Hi Abbz,

Will not sending the unit back to DM for upgrade affect the system's warrenty? Or is it past all that?

the unit is out of warranty according to DM. the job was a takeover and the customer reckons hes had it just over a year

the unit is out of warranty according to DM. the job was a takeover and the customer reckons hes had it just over a year

Don't have that problem with Videoswitch. Just pull the drive out fit the new drive and push it in.

Dave

As much as I'd like to say otherwise, adding a second hard drive to a DS2 is a thing that we don't support - hard drives are not user servicable unless you've done the HDD training course that we run.

Even in this case, if the HDD is replaced with a drive that is larger than the one that was in there, we take no responsibility for any problems that may pop up.

I can't give you a reason, because I don't know. I could guess, but that would be me being cynical ;)

--

psumner@dmicros.com

Manufacturer

why not send it back, I never got this whole replace it on site philosophy. Take it away, send it away, rent them a temp machine and charge them for the upgrade

James if you were to install an additional hard drive unit to your pc would you do it yourself or would you take it to a computer shop to have it done. It isnt rocket science to be able to add an additional hard drive.

Now that Phil has taken the time to reply and tell me what the procedure is with adding an additional hard drive i can pass this information on to my client and let him decide what he wants to do.

why not send it back, I never got this whole replace it on site philosophy. Take it away, send it away, rent them a temp machine and charge them for the upgrade

I like your thinking James. If you wanted a larger hard drive in your PC, Dell wouldn't come round and install one for free. PC World wouldn't upgrade it for free either.

This might be an oppertunity for you to make some money Abbz for little more than shipping the unit back to DM.

I like your thinking James. If you wanted a larger hard drive in your PC, Dell wouldn't come round and install one for free. PC World wouldn't upgrade it for free either.

This might be an oppertunity for you to make some money Abbz for little more than shipping the unit back to DM.

There was never any mention of installing the additional hard drive for free. The customer has asked me whether i could upgrade his unit with the additional hard drive.

Archived