Security Installer Community

Linux - Ubuntu

Service Engineer

I have just installed a Linux distribution called Ubuntu.

Ubuntu offers you a complete Linux-based operating system, including all the major applications you need to play and work. With a strong focus on a desktop that Just Works, Ubuntu is a great choice for home or the office. The base system and all included software is free, and support is available from the community or by professional support providers.
It seems a nice little Linux distro, which has installed with no hitches or problems at all on my fairly modern Gateway laptop. All hardware has been recognized correctly (which is a first for me with any linux distro I have installed), it even spotted the built in wireless adaptor..:)

Has anyone else installed Ubuntu..? If so what do you think.?

http://www.ubuntu.com/Welcome

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Nice One Dave,

May give that a go for my Laptop.

Getting a mite tired with MS's shenanigans and for the first time ever feel inclined to change.

Matt Gilmartin, Sales Director

T: +44(01205) 821111 | F: +44(01205) 820316

info@smoke-screen.co.uk | www.smoke-screen.co.uk

Head office:

1-2 North End, Swineshead, Boston, Lincs PE20 3LR

Registered in the UK no. 2728491

It's billed as "Linux for Human Beings"..

As usual I expected problems installing, especially as I use a laptop.

But it installed without a hitch, every device was found, everything is working.

I was waiting for Linspire to get it right, but doubt i'll be paying that much attention now this one's installed.

It even has an auto-update facillity like windows..and comes with open office installed..

Just need to find a good HTML editor now and i'm sorted.

:)

The desktop version introduces a host of new features, an improved interface and a wide variety of new applications and desktop tools making Ubuntu 6.10 flexible and user-friendly. Enhancements include:

*Tomboy, an easy-to-use and efficient note-taking tool

*F-Spot, a photo management tool that enables tagging, photo editing and automatic uploading to on-line web management sites such as Flickr

*GNOME 2.16, which in addition to new features such as enhanced power management, makes the GNOME desktop more secure, faster and more stable

*Upstart, a replacement start-up manager offering a cleaner design, eye-catching effects and a substantially faster boot time

*The latest Firefox web browser, which offers inline spell check support in web forms, easy recovery of crashed sessions, built-in phishing detectors, enhanced search engine management with built in OpenSearch support, and better support for previewing and subscribing to web feeds

*Proactive security features, preventing many common security vulnerabilities even before they are discovered

*Evolution 2.8.0, which brings new features such as vertical message panes

"With Ubuntu 6.10, we've made improvements across the board, both on the desktop where they're a visible part of the user experience, and in the underlying infrastructure where they improve performance and reliability for servers and desktops. The result is a system which is easier to use, faster, and more robust than ever. A great release in its own right, it will also be a solid base on which to build the next generation of Ubuntu features," said Matt Zimmerman, Ubuntu CTO.

Dling now.

Had a look through the features and it looks ideal for my work operations.

Will knacker the machine for gaming though (not that I have used it for that for over a year).

Head office:

I installed it Dual booting with XP... Not that my lappy can play many games..:(

Lol, I went a bit OTT on the spec with mine.

Rock Xtreme CT

The battery life can be measured in milli-seconds.

I figured that I spent so much time in hotels that I wanted a decent DVD experience as well as the capacity for games.

Sad, but true.

Head office:

Not used Ubuntu yet, been a die hard SUSE user for many years.

just downloading the Ubuntu iso image to give it a whirl though, i'll let you know how I get on.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

just downloading the Ubuntu iso image to give it a whirl though, i'll let you know how I get on.
After burning the ISO you can actually choose to run Ubuntu ftom the CD prior to installing it to see if it's to your liking, yeah it's a bit slow from the cd, but ok for a preview of what you'll be getting.

I used SuSE on a PC in a cupboard for a large number of years, but since the sale to Novell I feel less inclined to use them. The quality does appear to have gone up but they are concentrating on the corporate market, I feel.

At the moment I'm an MS whore, purely because I can't be bothered to go through all the hassle of setting up a new install and dual booting and so on. I'd rater be playing World of Warcraft :)

--

psumner@dmicros.com

Manufacturer

Archived