Security Installer Community

Motion Only V Continuous Recording

cutwitt

Need advice on what you pros advocate for recording cctv.

Is 'motion event only' recording OK or do you advise continuous recording.

Depends where it is, no point continuous in a vault for example.

Busy areas i would recommend continuous.

cheers

my personal pref is low frame rate when no motion say .5 fps then 3-5 fps when motion. Then if the detector misses you still get something. Also if the court wants to see an hour before the event you can show it. Dont like pure event cctv without overview backup (events ok say on door ways)

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

my personal pref is low frame rate when no motion say .5 fps then 3-5 fps when motion. Then if the detector misses you still get something. Also if the court wants to see an hour before the event you can show it. Dont like pure event cctv without overview backup (events ok say on door ways)

Agreed, also some councils (Westminster for instance) insist on constant recording while the premises is open, in the case of licensed premises.

Except I prefer to see 6fps constant and at least 12fps for motion.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

breff do you mean 12 fps overall framrate (ie digi sprites etc) or 12 fps per input?

I've got an interesting West Midlands Police document all about DVR selection, has some good info in their. If anybody wants a copy, PM me and I will scan and e-mail it.

The Pelco DX's have a pre-motion system so you don't lose anything. In records continuously but when motion occurs it also tags the pre-motion on in front. If no motion occurs it just looses it, bit like your sky plus on instant rewind.

cheers

Dave

Looks like there is a consensus here that continuous is preferred way to go.

Is this just to avoid the obvious problem of maybe missing the action, motion detection not being 100% reliable, or is it for legal reasons?

I know there is a loophole in the law of evidence that could be exploited with motion only recordings but not sure if anyone has used it in a defense.

Looks like there is a consensus here that continuous is preferred way to go.

Is this just to avoid the obvious problem of maybe missing the action, motion detection not being 100% reliable, or is it for legal reasons?

I know there is a loophole in the law of evidence that could be exploited with motion only recordings but not sure if anyone has used it in a defense.

Motion detection isn't 100% reliable and can screw up certain DVR's if on permanently.

:cheersbeer.gif

Archived