Security Installer Community

Cables Into The Ceiling

The Comet

Hey guys..

Just a quick question, its rather a dumb one, i feel, so ive posted it here.

If i install a PIR in the corner of my living room, and the panel is located in the upstairs airing cupboard and i drill a hole into the ceiling in the corner of the room. Would i be right in saying that this would come out under the floorboards, above the same spot upstairs?

Ive never installed a wire from downstairs to upstairs through the ceiling before so im basically trying to work out if thats correct, under upstairs floorboards is the downstairs ceiling? (Amonst joists ect)..

Also, if that is correct, is there enough room to take the wire under 'upstairs' floorboards to the airing cupboard?

Lee

You need to do some measurements and calculations if your not sure, often the corner of one room downstairs can be a foot or so into a bedroom upstairs when finding where cables come through.

I agree with alarm gaurd theres a lot of pipes and wires in corners etc. Plenty of room under the bords but dont use exsiting holes for running your cables and if you do drill new ones ensure you dont weaken the joist

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the excellent information there, all of you.

OK what i will do is bring up the floorboard upstairs and take a look for pipes, wires ect. Then as suggested, make my hole with a screwdriver rather than drilling.

cheers, Any more information would still be great..

Lee

cheers, Any more information would still be great..

Lee

Measure twice, drill once.. ;)

Push hole up in the corner of the room with a screwdriver. Gently feel around to see if you can feel anything. If not push up longer screwdriver and tap on the floorboard. Get your misses to see if she can here you tapping the board, better still get her to tap and you see if you can here it. :lol:

You can do a A star job and pull up all the boards and run the cables underneath, will involve removing carpets etc. I tend to drill a 20mm hole in corner with a flat wood bit, push loads of cable up through downstairs hole and fish it out with a coat hanger. Run cables around the edge of gripper, better to staple them if you can lay your hands on a cable staple gun.

Have fun! :yes:

Dave

32mm auger bit 500mm long, just go for it.....i do :P

Nah, seriously all good advise up there. As said watch out for cables, the "coat hanger" is our magic weapon this gets us thru routes that amazes customers at times.

Good luck

cheers

hi Comet,

you need some guidance (in blue).

Hey guys..

Just a quick question, its rather a dumb one, i feel, so ive posted it here.

are you saying we are dumb?

If i install a PIR in the corner of my living room, and the panel is located in the upstairs airing cupboard

stop right there, you don't put the panel in the airing cupboard due to the heat exposure. tyou will fry the n=battery and shortne the life of the panel.

and i drill a hole into the ceiling in the corner of the room. Would i be right in saying that this would come out under the floorboards, above the same spot upstairs?

this will depend on the angle of penetration and any deflection from nail etc, could get rather damp if you happen to hit a water pipe, i'll leave it to your imagination regarding gas pipes and 240 volt mains cables.

Ive never installed a wire from downstairs to upstairs through the ceiling before so im basically trying to work out if thats correct, under upstairs floorboards is the downstairs ceiling? (Amonst joists ect)..

yep, or the plasterboard would be the floor.

Also, if that is correct, is there enough room to take the wire under 'upstairs' floorboards to the airing cupboard?

this wuld depend which way the joist's run, which are oposite to the floor boards.

Lee

lee,

with all due and proper respect afforded, you can do very serious damage to your home, cause a fire or suffer electrical shock, so you are truly advised to seek assistance from someone with at least some basic building construction knowledge, but preferably an experienced and capable security installer.

this is not a high handed, big headed or condescending reply, but one trying to avert a probabal disaster just waiting to happen.

if you must insist on proceeding yourself, remove the board above where you intend to drill to see if any pipes or wires or other services could be damaged. in most cases with plasterboard ceilings, using a phillips screwdriver to penetrate the plasterboard offers less chance of damage to a pipe or cable.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

if you must insist on proceeding yourself, remove the board above where you intend to drill to see if any pipes or wires or other services could be damaged. in most cases with plasterboard ceilings, using a phillips screwdriver to penetrate the plasterboard offers less chance of damage to a pipe or cable.

And this advice is totally different to whats been posted above in what way?

cheers

And this advice is totally different to whats been posted above in what way?

cheers

it don't, just reinforce's the advice in one place for clarity - get that rudy ovaltine on will you?

:)

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived