Security Installer Community

Cables Into The Ceiling

The Comet

As a guide

if you are drilling through near an exterior wall the 1st floor joist is 50mm away from the wall

1st floor joists are normaly running across the stair case i.e the top step is sat on the joist a trimmer is fitted to this joist to the next full joist at the end of the stair well which carries the other end of the trimmer joist spacings are 400mm on modern houses and 450mm on older ones

450mm in from load bearing walls is the drill area for services (pipes Cables )

which usualy accounts for the bulk of every thing running down thrugh the 1st floor landing

as a rule a standard emersion has 3 pipes 1 a cold feed 2 a hot out and an over flow

a megaflo emersion also carries an extra set of pipes a flo and return set from the central heating system and a hot water flo and return from the combi gas boiler

on a standard emersion there are two electric cables the emersion heater element and the booster heating element on the megaflo it also has a circulating pump and also two motorised valves and a time clock

so if you fancy drilling up under an aering cupboard feel free at least you will now have some idea as to whats under it

Life is like a box of choclates.....if you dont get there first your left with all the naff ones

Hey Guys.

I never intended in drilling up into an airing cupboard, i wouldnt even go there! Seems like some people read my post wrong. I only wanted to brings a cable from a PIR upstairs to the panel.

Either way, i started the job today, started by lifting a small floorboard above the living room corner, a few electrical wires there but i simple pushed my philips screwdriver through the board in the corner, which came out not to far from the corner of the room. So that is sorted.

Only thing now is i have to decided to either put the cable under all the floorboards (which are proving very hard to lift??), or up and show some cable in the upstairs room.

cheers guys.

Hey Guys.

I never intended in drilling up into an airing cupboard, i wouldnt even go there! Seems like some people read my post wrong. I only wanted to brings a cable from a PIR upstairs to the panel.

Only thing now is i have to decided to either put the cable under all the floorboards (which are proving very hard to lift??), or up and show some cable in the upstairs room.

cheers guys.

hi comet

your own words from #1

and the panel is located in the upstairs airing cupboard and i drill a hole into the ceiling in the corner of the room. Would i be right in saying that this would come out under the floorboards, above the same spot upstairs?

so the same spot was taken as meaning the airing cupboard is what i thought, remmember we have not seen your home, so only your wording to go on. we have to exercise a degree of caution as we do not know your skill level with tools or being practicle (and no disrespect intended here just prudence).

still strongly advise do not put the panel in the airing cupboard, not good for the panel please look at the operating temperature range in the manual, the airing cupboard will exceed the upper level.

we do want to help you, but we have all 'been there' if you know what i mean, hence the cautioning advice, its not meant as patronising.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I still dont think you have understood what i ment, but no worries.

I have to install it in the airing cupboard, there is no better place in the house. I have an upstairs cupboard which it could go in but there is no power supply anywhere near it, plus, the airing cupboard back wall is in just the right place for where i want the bell box outside.

I do know that its not good for the panel, but i dont think the bottom of my airing cupboard is going to reach 50c+.

Guest Alarm Guard
I still dont think you have understood what i ment, but no worries.

I have to install it in the airing cupboard, there is no better place in the house. I have an upstairs cupboard which it could go in but there is no power supply anywhere near it, plus, the airing cupboard back wall is in just the right place for where i want the bell box outside.

I do know that its not good for the panel, but i dont think the bottom of my airing cupboard is going to reach 50c+.

Your house, your panel, your choice... but we never ever fit panels in an airing cupboard. The temperature can get high and it only takes a couple of towels to block the required ventilation around the panel and you have a reliability issue and a fire risk all in one ... It's a sort of buy one get one free!

One of our favoured positions is above the door in a spare bedroom, if it will fit. That is a space which is usually totally unused and always accessible.

Paul

Thank you for the advice. I have decided to rethink my position of the panel.

I will let you all know later.

by jove I think comets got it!

well done Paul,

it took our combined effort's but i think we got him there in the end.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys..

Just a quick question, its rather a dumb one, i feel, so ive posted it here.

If i install a PIR in the corner of my living room, and the panel is located in the upstairs airing cupboard and i drill a hole into the ceiling in the corner of the room. Would i be right in saying that this would come out under the floorboards, above the same spot upstairs?

Ive never installed a wire from downstairs to upstairs through the ceiling before so im basically trying to work out if thats correct, under upstairs floorboards is the downstairs ceiling? (Amonst joists ect)..

Also, if that is correct, is there enough room to take the wire under 'upstairs' floorboards to the airing cupboard?

Lee

simple dont drill poke srew driver up ,, then get alarm cable push about 3-4 ft up there , then go up stairs lift board roughly where you think it is BINGO

if you can see but cant reach time to find those old metal coat hangers out off wardrobes

Archived