Security Installer Community

Remote keypad location

I'm planning a DIY alarm installation at home and trying to get the best advice I can before proceeding.

My control unit will be securely hidden away but I can't decide where to put the remote keypad near the main exit door. The best location seems to be on the wall opposite the front door, but this is directly visible through the letterbox only 1.5m away and at almost the same height so could be prodded at by a long object, though the keypad does have a flip-down cover.

Is this a problem, and are there any guidelines for the best locations to meet ergonomic and security concerns?

I guess anyone poking through the door is likely to trigger the PIR that will cover the hallway anyway, though there's a separate issue there about post and newspapers (mentioned in another forum but with no very conclusive answers) which can perhaps be overcome by tuning the pulse count settings?

Thanks,

Andrew :unsure:

As far as I'm aware keypads should not be on view from outside when the building is secured. I dont think looking through the letterbox counts as this rule is only so nobody sees you entering your code

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

At one of my past employers we had an alarm in a building where the keypad was in an 1st fllor office facing the window. the nacoss inspector knocekd us an point on his inspection for keypad position - he was concerned it could be seen through the office window via someone on a ladder or using binoculars :lol:

and he was serious!!!! :wacko:

but seriously as far as know the general rule is that the kaeypad should,nt be visable to anyone from outside ie via window or line of sight thro the door. i think through an letterbox is a bit extreme, i know i,ll ask that nacoss inspector................................................................ :wacko::blink::lol:

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Guest dun_that

As long as it cant be seen from outside put it where you can cable it the easiest and most descreet, and keep it as close to entry point as possible.

Adrian

Archived