Security Installer Community

Moved House, Got An Atg Mx48 (scantronic 9100)

Guest sprog

Greets to new faces out there. Stumbled across this forum while searching for information on our MX48. We moved house recently and have one of these (rather old from my understanding) alarm systems. I understand it's the same as the Scan 9100.

Obviously I can't ask for engineer manuals as there's a big thing slapped accross my screen saying "Don't ask us to supply them" but I would be grateful for general information on this thing. I have a fairly decent Electronics Engineering degree and can work out most things, but don't fancy annoying the new neighbourhood by having a poke and setting the thing off!

I know the user code for it, and can figure out how to set and disarm it. I have a user manual which explains the walk test and various status displays.

What I am interested in is expanding it with a few extra sensors, changing the user code and possibly hooking it into my PC system (I'm quite adept at RS232 converters if this thing has a port).

Any tips, pointers or general usefull information appreciated.

Hi fella,

User code can only be changed by the engineer and it doesn't have ANY form of comms interface it's far too old.

It's a very old panel but absolutely bullet proof. :)

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Its a stable beast, hardly anything goes wrong with it, as for RS forget it.

Time for some new kit if you want to play games with it. Give it a decent send off, these were the staple diet of the industry and deserve respect.

cheers

Greets to new faces out there. Stumbled across this forum while searching for information on our MX48. We moved house recently and have one of these (rather old from my understanding) alarm systems. I understand it's the same as the Scan 9100.

Obviously I can't ask for engineer manuals as there's a big thing slapped accross my screen saying "Don't ask us to supply them" but I would be grateful for general information on this thing. I have a fairly decent Electronics Engineering degree and can work out most things, but don't fancy annoying the new neighbourhood by having a poke and setting the thing off!

I know the user code for it, and can figure out how to set and disarm it. I have a user manual which explains the walk test and various status displays.

What I am interested in is expanding it with a few extra sensors, changing the user code and possibly hooking it into my PC system (I'm quite adept at RS232 converters if this thing has a port).

Any tips, pointers or general usefull information appreciated.

:roflmao: Connect a MX48 to a PC, the night just gets better! You got no chance.

As you said the MX48 is the same as the Scantronic 9100. The MX48 was manufactured by ATG (Ash Technology Group), the same group who owned Modern Alarms and Sensormatic. In fact the MX48 shared much of the infrustructure of the Series 3000 which funny enough was a Modern Alarms panel.

On the MX48 you had a dedicated entry exit and also a dedicated PA circuit. You then had 4 additional circuits as standard. Expansion came by way of plug on cards of which you could have one pluged on and another by way of a flying lead, normally mounted in a seperate box which has a further 8 cts (2 x 4 ct cards).

If you want PC support etc. I would get somebody in to rip the old MX48 out and fit a Premier 24.

Regards

Dave

Hmm, thanks for the info. Not looking to hopeful then. I know there is a PA circuit, Entry/Exit, Auxillary (hooked into smoke detector) and then the main alarm which comprises a couple of rooms and windows.

I'm guessing it could be hooked up to a PC but the process would probably take more time and effort than it's worth. (From what I can deduce it would involve putting a logic circuit tapped into the LED output to read the signals and pump them out with possibly a sensor to the bell output as well).

I've no urgent plans to replace it although I am concerned as several rooms don't have sensors that should. Are there any good, solid, DIY systems out there that can be connected to a PC either via a serial connection or LAN adapter? I've already written some basic monitoring software...

:gimme: (So I'm a geek.....)

Just to explain a bit more, what I'm attempting to do is:

1. Get the system in a state where all the rooms I want are covered.

2. Hook a PC in not as a monitoring station, but where the PC is able to take action when the alarm is triggered. (Text my mobile and upload various cam footage etc)

Archived