Security Installer Community

Melcom K6600

MARKJ124

Hi can somone please help.

I have a Melcom ST6100 alarm panel and Melcom K6600 display, the part i need help with is that the when the alarm is NOT armed the display shows the welcome greeting as normal.

But after exactly 4 minutes and 17 seconds (yes this is a bit sad i timed it) the day led flashes and the main display shows FAULT. then i have to set the alarm and reset it to get it back to the normal display, then it does the same as above again.

The alarm panel does set and work. not had any complaints about a false alarm activation.

Anybody have any ideas please.

thanks

Mark

It appears to be a rebadged Optima.

Does the keypad display text? What does it display other than fault? Any other lights on, etc? Can you just silence it before you reset it, and does that give you any other information?

If you don't know......ask.

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

The Melcom system replaced an existing alarm that had been in place for about 8 years (professional fit by a small company).

The alarm was installed by myself onto existing wiring but all sensors worked, i have run most of the standard checks the alarm panel will perform e.g walk test, bell test and nothing shows up.

The main Melcom ST6100 has a keypad and led status indicators on it, the K6600 is a keyapd with a two line lcd display and led status indicators basically emulates the main unit funtions but with scrolling text.

It will quite happily arm and disarm it is only when it is in disarm mode that the day led flashes and the word "fault" shows on the lcd display it will do this every approx 5 minutes if i reset the display by arming the alarm then disarming it again.

The alarm is fitted to my parents house they reminded me to take a look at it, i assumed they had been using the alarm but my father had removed the main fuse and it has been powered down for a while but all the programs i had put in were retained in its memory.

Sorry if the above is a bit repetitve but i find it bizzare why it waits for an exact amount of time to display the error its like it is stuck in some kind of time loop.

Mark

• 11 months later...

Hi there,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I only just came across this by chance. Did you ever manage to resolve this?

My system is doing *exactly* the same thing - down to the second! I'll admit that I never timed it before, but I just did and I made it 4:16 for the flashing light and a few seconds after for the fault to come up.

I originally thought that it must be something to do with the wiring (tamper perhaps), but I have gone over all of the wires and they all seem to be correct. This doesn't actually seem to affect the operation of the alarm - just that it shows this "fault".

I have actually been waiting almost two years for a replacement keypad from Melcom for a different reason (the one I have has a software bug which means you cannot actually store zone names), but I am not hopeful of actually ever receiving it (last email I received from them was on 04/24/2006 saying "It is being sent from Hong Kong by surface mail". I follow up every so often but have heard nothing back ;-)

Would appreciate hearing if you did manage to fix this or if you threw the damn thing out!

Many thanks,

-simon

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

The Melcom system replaced an existing alarm that had been in place for about 8 years (professional fit by a small company).

The alarm was installed by myself onto existing wiring but all sensors worked, i have run most of the standard checks the alarm panel will perform e.g walk test, bell test and nothing shows up.

The main Melcom ST6100 has a keypad and led status indicators on it, the K6600 is a keyapd with a two line lcd display and led status indicators basically emulates the main unit funtions but with scrolling text.

It will quite happily arm and disarm it is only when it is in disarm mode that the day led flashes and the word "fault" shows on the lcd display it will do this every approx 5 minutes if i reset the display by arming the alarm then disarming it again.

The alarm is fitted to my parents house they reminded me to take a look at it, i assumed they had been using the alarm but my father had removed the main fuse and it has been powered down for a while but all the programs i had put in were retained in its memory.

Sorry if the above is a bit repetitve but i find it bizzare why it waits for an exact amount of time to display the error its like it is stuck in some kind of time loop.

Mark

Hi ,

First , read the log , it may tell you what is at fault.

My guess is that it is a battery monitor or similar , and swopping out the battery should show if this is the case.

4 mins 16 secs is 256 seconds , and most of the timers on this panel are variable from 0 to 255 (bits and bytes and all that ) . but I don't fit these panels , and I don't think many on here do.

Regards.

Archived