Security Installer Community

Regalsafe Rs40 Factory Reset?

Guest brian gladman

Guest rjbsec
I think you are coming at this from a different perspective because I am considering my security and how I can maintain control over this. As the owner of assets I want to protect them and I believe that I must retain ultimate responsibility for this. I might choose to delegate aspects of this security to an alarm manufacturer, to an installer and to a maintainer but I have to be able to withdraw from any relationships that no longer serve my needs by rescinding any authority that I have delegated.

It's not the same at all in my view. In one case I have recinded a delegated authority and recovered it myself; in the other case I have sought to pass it between two third parties. In the latter situation I have a great deal less control over what happens.

For example, if I have established a relationhip with one maintainer and I find that they have been convicted of burglary, I want to remove their delegated authority immediately and I certainly don't want to wait until I have had time to establish a trust relationship with another supplier since this won't be something I can arrange overnight. Hence my ability to do a factory reset is an important aspect of my security as an end user since it protects me from rogue maintainers.

I used to set some of these standards but I don't really believe in them at the bottom end of the market (home security).

My system is 11 years old and I have just renewed the batteries in both the RS40 and the external sounder as you suggest. My daughter's system is even older and is the one for which we don't have the engineering code. But I have just realised that I can copy copy the EEPROM on my system into her EEPROM and get a system in which we know the codes.

I am not sure how interested you folk really are. But I will willingly report back on my Coopers interactions (I am not confident here) and on my EEPROM copying experiment.

with best regards,

Brian Gladman

Your argumentation is interesting and the result of your EEPROM experiment will be fun, but in truth taking the stance you do in relation to your alarm means that you will continue to enjoy a very low grade of electronic home security.

Professional grade security demands that you put your trust in a security professional, without that it will always remain a basic and obsolete audible-only system.

Guest brian gladman
you really are a clown

Oh dear, throwing insults is always a sign of someone who has run out of logic in an argument. All you have done is dodge the issue by mounting an uncalled for 'ad hominem' attack.

Fortunately the repuatation of this site has been set by the quality of the contributions made by others.

with regards,

Brian Gladman

Guest brian gladman
Your argumentation is interesting and the result of your EEPROM experiment will be fun, but in truth taking the stance you do in relation to your alarm means that you will continue to enjoy a very low grade of electronic home security.

Professional grade security demands that you put your trust in a security professional, without that it will always remain a basic and obsolete audible-only system.

As I said earlier, I may well listen to your advice on this. I am most grateful for the considered responses that you folk have given to my posts.

But given my intent to obtain control over the factory reset of any new alarm that I fit (or contract to have fitted), do I take it from your comments here that I will have to do the work myself because nobody in the industry will be willing (or able) to meet my need?

with best regards,

Brian Gladman

I think you are coming at this from a different perspective because I am considering my security and how I can maintain control over this. As the owner of assets I want to protect them and I believe that I must retain ultimate responsibility for this. I might choose to delegate aspects of this security to an alarm manufacturer, to an installer and to a maintainer but I have to be able to withdraw from any relationships that no longer serve my needs by rescinding any authority that I have delegated.

Coming back to the point at hand, Ultimately if you default the panel, control rests with whoever has a copy of the engineering manual containing the default codes. :fear:

It's not the same at all in my view. In one case I have recinded a delegated authority and recovered it myself; in the other case I have sought to pass it between two third parties. In the latter situation I have a great deal less control over what happens.

but what does happen, in one case you default the panel, in the other an engineer defaults the panel, end result = panel is defaulted whatever the case.

I used to set some of these standards but I don't really believe in them at the bottom end of the market (home security).

It is a manditory requirement for all approved companies.

My system is 11 years old and I have just renewed the batteries in both the RS40 and the external sounder as you suggest.

If you are determined to salvage the system then so be it, The battery change is good, I hope you will do it to your daughters also if you succeed in reseting her panel.

My daughter's system is even older and is the one for which we don't have the engineering code. But I have just realised that I can copy copy the EEPROM on my system into her EEPROM and get a system in which we know the codes.

I am not sure how interested you folk really are. But I will willingly report back on my Coopers interactions (I am not confident here) and on my EEPROM copying experiment.

with best regards,

Brian Gladman

Hmm, there's lots of pitfalls in copying EEPROM's. How do you know that the data in the 2 are the same? The boards could be different revisions and also have different software versions in them.

Only advice I would give here would be to take a back up image of the recipient system first just in case it doesn't work, at least you can put the old one back then. :) Not that I'd ever make that mistake. :whistle:

By all means let us know how you get on with the manufacturer. As for the eeprom copying, that is bordering on the fringes of the site rules due to the nature of the discussion. I'd be interested to know how you get on with it as i'm sure will several others, but please remember the constraints of the site rules.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Guest rjbsec
As I said earlier, I may well listen to your advice on this. I am most grateful for the considered responses that you folk have given to my posts.

But given my intent to obtain control over the factory reset of any new alarm that I fit (or contract to have fitted), do I take it from your comments here that I will have to do the work myself because nobody in the industry will be willing (or able) to meet my need?

with best regards,

Brian Gladman

Some installers will be willing to grant you total access to the equipment they install, however they will not represent the professional and reliable section of the industry and will likely be just the sort of maintainer that you desire to avoid. The professional installer will want to ensure that any system they install (or upgrade) will retain its integrity throughout the time they have any responsibility for it and that will mean excluding you from doing anything that would unwittingly or unwisely compromise the system integrity.

That's not denying you your rights, its ensuring that your rights are protected.

You should consider a quality installation with a monitored response that precludes the "quick defeat" that you tell us you have been able to achieve with your existing system. That will require a professional installer working to the latest EN Regulations (well actually PD6662) and submitting themselves to inspection by one of the UKAS accredited Inspectorates (SSAIB or NSI) - this will give you a reliable installation with provision for police response to your alarm activations.

Some installers will be willing to grant you total access to the equipment they install, however they will not represent the professional and reliable section of the industry and will likely be just the sort of maintainer that you desire to avoid. The professional installer will want to ensure that any system they install (or upgrade) will retain its integrity throughout the time they have any responsibility for it and that will mean excluding you from doing anything that would unwittingly or unwisely compromise the system integrity.

That's not denying you your rights, its ensuring that your rights are protected.

You should consider a quality installation with a monitored response that precludes the "quick defeat" that you tell us you have been able to achieve with your existing system. That will require a professional installer working to the latest EN Regulations (well actually PD6662) and submitting themselves to inspection by one of the UKAS accredited Inspectorates (SSAIB or NSI) - this will give you a reliable installation with provision for police response to your alarm activations.

I can't disagree with a word of that.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Guest brian gladman

So to get a professional alarm system installed AND retain full control over my own security I have no option but to install it myself :(

What a truly sad state of affairs.

This is saying that you know better than I do what my security interests are. You might believe this and you might even be right but this does not diminish my right as the owner of an asset that is to be protected to decide what level of protection is necessary and to retain ultimate control over the operation of this protection. That is what ownerhsip is all about.

Thanks for this advice, which I will bear in mind.

best regards,

Brian Gladman

PS I have now reset the RS40 to its factory state. I don't consider the way to do this needs to be secret but out of respect for those here who think it should be I won't post how to do this. It was pretty obvious once I saw the EEPROM :)

So to get a professional alarm system installed AND retain full control over my own security I have no option but to install it myself :(

What a truly sad state of affairs.

no. you just don't understant the implications

You might believe this and you might even be right but this does not diminish my right as the owner of an asset that is to be protected to decide what level of protection is necessary and to retain ultimate control over the operation of this protection

yes its called the right to balls it up

secret but out of respect for those here who think it should be I won't post how to do this. It was pretty obvious once I saw the EEPROM :)

you took ya time on that one :sothere:

Guest rjbsec
This is saying that you know better than I do what my security interests are. You might believe this and you might even be right but this does not diminish my right as the owner of an asset that is to be protected to decide what level of protection is necessary and to retain ultimate control over the operation of this protection. That is what ownerhsip is all about.

No that is what DIY security is all about and that does not equate to what is in the best interests of your security.

Guest brian gladman
No that is what DIY security is all about and that does not equate to what is in the best interests of your security.

This might or might not equate to my best interests.

But what I am certain of is that you are not in a position to make a reasoned judgement about this while you know so little about my security intersts.

with best regards,

Brian Gladman

Archived