Security Installer Community

Has Part P Made Things Better Or Worse?

Guest adam_151

Guest adam_151

So part P was thrust upon us a while back, but did we actually need it from a safety POV? There are a limited number of deaths & injuries caused by electrics each year, when compared to thing like cars, and a lot of them are actually casued by faulty appliances as opposed to fixed wiring, and any restriction on DIY electricial work will lead to an increase in extension leads; (if Joe wanted power in his shed before he might install a proper supply with SWA, granted he wouldn't have the equipment or knowledge to test it properly, but it would be a hell of a lot safer what the extension lead approach, now he either has to employ a registered spark, or notify LABC (which quite often want him to be able to provide them with an EIC), so Joe uses an extension cable out to his shed and winds it up occasionsly (so its not fixed wiring, just an extension lead used in the garden often), the cable starts fraying after his kids have ridden their bicycles over it quite a lot...)

What about kitchen fitters?, they have always done some electrics, and some (quite a lot?) of them manage to make a mess of it, now we have kitchen fitters who have been on a 3 day course actually doing the stuff they don't know how to do, legally, for hire and rewards :hmm:

If someone is offering a service as part of a business, then they should be able to carry out that service in a professional as opposed to amateur way, part P hasn't changed the fact that this happens, but it has justified the practice, someone on another forum likened it to wild west deputies... cowboys with a badge

No one can justify Part P on a safety argument, if it was a safety argument, we would ban cars, ladders or alcohol, now I'm not saying that DIYers don't do things wrongly, but it doesn't actually result in the masses of deaths some people seem to think it does, of course the fact that the work is not good is a different matter entirely, if I was driving through red lights, even if I didn't actually crash, I can't imagine the police would be too happy, a PIR could have been required at house sale time, then you know whether or not you are buying a house that comes complete with some pretty unsavory features. (The home seller's pack coming into force in 2007 that was suggested at one time might contain a PIR has been watered down, and contains nothing more than a visual inspection from a house surveyer)

If I was competant (which I'm not), I could legally install a gas boiler DIY without notifying anyone, however, I'm competant to for example, add two way switching to kitchen lights, but I have to let thr council know if I wanted to do that

Well I think I have covered most of the points I set out to cover, so this is the end of the post other than to say I'd welcome comments on all that I have written above, and I expect that quite a few people would be in totally disagreement with me...

If I was competant (which I'm not), I could legally install a gas boiler DIY without notifying anyone,

If you was corgi registered

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Guest Alarm Guard
It is illegal for diyers to work on gas supplies. It is a criminal offence punishable by imprisonment.

Not quite:

The gas regulations in this Country require the installer of any gas appliances or fittings to be competent and to do so with safety. The Health and Safety Executive, who control such things, have the power to enforce regulations against a diy installer if it can prove the installation was carried out in an unsafe way. This is not hard in the event of an accident !!

To fit appliances etc for others, even friends, you must be CORGI registered. To do this for yourself require that you do so in a competent and safe way.

Competent in this sense does not just mean you can join pipes together. You have to know how to disconnect from the meter, test the system before and after installation, how to make sure the pipes are free from debris, how to check proper earth bonding, how to install isolation valves and many more things besides.

It is illegal for diyers to work on gas supplies. It is a criminal offence punishable by imprisonment.

It isn't. As long as you aren't making a living out of doing it, e.g. DIY, then you can work with gas appliances and install gas pipework etc...

The world is full of illusions, part p is just one of them.

That is to say it's purpose as it is stated will not succeed by it's implimentation.

I think the genaral principles are fine but feel the way it has been introduced is somewhat abismal.

How a person working for an approved company can be OK one minute but when leaving that company then is not qualified is daft IMO.

How a company can be a competant person is also daft IMO.

How the government think it will stop the cowboys and tax dodgers is also daft and nieve of them.

The regulation of the electrical industry is long overdue but part p IMO will not make it any safer it has and will make criminals of long standing competent electricians.eg If one installs an outside light at the back of someones house so as to avoid someone falling into a hole in the back garden if you are not part p registered and foget to inform the buiding control of the work you have done, then you have broken the law. Also unless it is classed as an emergency you should inform the building control before the work is started.

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

We were told by an instructor on a Tavcom course his theory.

Its that part p is actually to stop electricians themselves doing cash jobs, everything now has to be certified which means there is a paper trail for the tax inspector to find.

Its possible!

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

How a person working for an approved company can be OK one minute but when leaving that company then is not qualified is daft IMO.

This is what P*** me off i am approved at work but not alowed to do my own work at home.

Trade Member

This is what P*** me off i am approved at work but not alowed to do my own work at home.

This is one of the misconceptions Paul. You are allowed to do the work but you must notify the building control. Even a diyer can do the work but it must be notified.

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

Archived