Security Installer Community

Digi & Line Fault

gerbil

Had a request from an engineer to set Pin 8 on Sentinal up as Telephone fault.

Simple request, it took a few clicks.

However, it didnt end there.

He called back, asking what signals the ARC had received. Pretty much a default set

1 fire

2 pa

3 intruder

7 confirmed

& all restores

ENG: no telephone fault?

Me: Nope

ENG: oh, well it should have, i've set the digi up to send it.

Me: ok, so if its a digi whats it going to send the signal on once the phone lines cut....?

ENG: yea but you've set it up your end

Me: yes, all set up here & would receive it too, if it was a dual com or red care

ENG: naaa its just a digi

Me: uses one phone line, to dial the ARC, if thats cut how will the alarm dial to send us the fault pin?

ENG: ummmm - right no problems, cheers

Me: bye

this engineer spoke to 3 ops & asked them why the digi wouldnt send a fault... got the same answer every time

Now, i've not been in the job that long, but i know that a digi cannot send anything unless it has GSM backup, or its a redcare - or have i been miss informed....?

Wakes your customers at 3am, when your alarm cant !

ARC Operator & Trainee 16th edition sparky with massive interest in Intruder alarms & CCTV - Always willing to learn

Now, i've not been in the job that long, but i know that a digi cannot send anything unless it has GSM backup, or its a redcare - or have i been miss informed....?

That's true. A digi is totally reliant on the integrity of the telephone line to send signals, a Line Fault can only be annunciated locally, hence the reason Redcare came into being. Of course the digi could be set up to send a test call at a set period, but it does all mount up cost wise :yes:

Trade Member

Yes, i've had an engineer equire about some signals a dualcom was sending out as the customer moaned about a

ARC Operator & Trainee 16th edition sparky with massive interest in Intruder alarms & CCTV - Always willing to learn

i send extended format on digis and this includes line fault. Yes you correct these are transmited over a GSM

Jef

Customers!

Seem to think we had a similar problem with quite a few digigard's (forerunners to gardiner prodigi's), they were sending open/close constantly for hours.

Took My 20 Mins To Explain Pull Up Resistors On A Similar Problem To A Guy Not Long Ago

banghead

pull up resistors..... details please so i can act the smart ass in the arc when i see it again !!

Archived