Security Installer Community

Microsoft Warns On Browser Bugs

j.paul

The only reason people find so many bugs in IE is because there's so many people looking for them, given the continued rise in popularity of firefox I've no doubt the same number of bugs will be found in that once enough people are using it to make the hackers feel its 'worthwhile'.

Last check it was something like 75% of the internet used IE, why would anyone bother targetting a browser that less than a quarter of people use?

Dont think your any safer/better by using Firefox. your just not on the list yet. :fear:

QFA

And Look At This Lot

The only problem i've found is when trying to download attachments in fire fox ie. Manuals or piccies,

when you go "save as" you get a index.php in the name space the only way to get the files,

Is to open the files and then save, which i'd rather download to a specific directory.

If anyone knows an add-in or another method please let me know

Er, what I do is delete the text 'index.php' or whatever and type in something else.

Or, what you may mean is that you do a save page, in which case that would save the whole lot whereas you want to just right click on a piccie or something and select 'save image as' or similar. I have had t do it your way a few times due to mis-encoded web pages but not enough to make it a chore.

On the vulnerability front, Firefox may have a list of them, but it's still (currently) a hell of a lot shorter than IE's. Also, I find it a better browser in general so even if it was as unsecure as IE I'd still choose Firefox, so there! :P

• 2 months later...

Yeah and Im afraid they've not gotten around to fixing the ever so slight "massive hole" in java (i know they claim to have fixed it but i can still be hit with it), maybe they have I google and then headed intot the mire that is ms.com (that place is harder to navigate than Milton Keynes on a Busy Saturday - this is in no way meant to be offensive to anyone called "Milton Keynes")

I use Firefox have done since hmm v1.0.3 only has a few sites that don't like it due to it's "browser ID" claims it required IE 5.0+, it might mention netscape too, darn launch.com other than that, automatic (if you enable it) updates for any extensions, skins & plugins (i think), it's one slick browser, any link i click on opens in Firefox only thing that doesn't is the mail link from MSN Messy (but what ya expect it ignores the small fact "IEis not default browser"..)

I'll switch ma 98 box over when XP is "finished" yeah i know it is but hmm let see 100's of patches, 2 Service Packs and climbing..

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Archived