Security Installer Community

Veritas R8

Guest Guest_spider_*

Guest Guest_spider_*

Hi all, I moved into my house about a year ago & have had no real trouble with the alarm system - unless you count trying to unset it after a few drinkies!

A few weeks ago the alram started to go off for no apparent reason. For the sanity of my neighbours, I decided to leave it unset.

Unfortunately, I've just returned tonight & it has triggered again (whilst unset?!) the tamper button on the control panel was flashing.

Has anyone any idea what could be causing this or any (Janet & John style) suggestions as to what I could do to rectify the problem please?

the tamper button on the control panel was flashing

Could be a tamper if the light is flashing.

Might be worth getting the system serviced by an engineer, as you probably dont know if the batteries have ever been changed and for the sake of your neigbours sanity.

Do you know how old the installtion is? andy reccord of a service?

Hi , the tamper circuit is active 24hrs , it could be a wiring fault , a device lid , the control or remote kepad lid , or the bell tamper circuit.Even if you leave your alarm off , these faults will make them selves heard.

Have you had your system serviced recently? if not ..nows the time.

:)

Guest Guest_spider_*

Wow, thanks for such a quick response. I don't think it has been a tamper as there's no obvious signs (may just regret saying that though!)

I'm not sure how old the system is as you're quite right in that I have no documentation/service history etc... I would guess that it's about 5 years old as that would fit in with the other installations in the house - someone seems to have done a bit of a property development thing on the house.

Do you think it could simply be a battery?

Without checking the system over is hard to say one way or another, it could be a number of things.

And changing the battery without checking the controls over properly could make the situation worse.

Guest Guest

Sorry. was typing as fast car was replying. I'm getting the impression from both of you that I need to get it serviced professionally. I suppose that the next question is can anyone recommend an engineer in or near Hartlepool please?

Guest Guest

Thanks for that. I'm sorry I should have familiarised myself with the site before asking the question! I'll probably thank you guys even more once I get the thing serviced. Last question, is this alarm system any good?

... Last question, is this alarm system any good?

There is nothing wrong with the Veritas. It is a reliable (but basic) panel. The test of the system is how well it has been installed, and what other equipment is on it - what detectors etc, and where are they placed.

Good luck - most good companies will be familiar with the Veritas.

D7

• 2 years later...

I have a Veritas 8C - serviced and new battery every 2 years as recommended by installer. Installer company closed for 2 weeks holiday! Aarm has started going off when not set. Usually just the internal alarm but today the bell as well.

Any ideas please? Alternatively, how can I turn it off completely until company re-opens.

Thanks in advance.

Archived