Security Installer Community

Door contacts

Guest Baser

Hi Guys. Can you help me, i have had a new front door fitted, i want to use surface contacts on the door.

my problem is the frame is about 15mm lower than the door when closed.door closes on to the frame. so the contacts are not next to each other when the door is shut.

Any suggestions to level the reed switch to the magnet?

Guest kenny james
:D i would suggest you fit drought excluder before door contacts with winter now here and gaps as wide as you say,i have personally fitted door contacts to doors with gaps just as wide to the door frame,are you sure there is no other place around the door excluding the side the door hinges are on (of course!!), they do not have to be fitted in a particular place maybe the top corner or bottom corner? otherwise replace contact with pir instead facing door from your hallway.

why not fit the magnet to the top of the door, close the door and then fit the reed switch to the door frame above the magnet..?

the door frame is level with the wall.

if i was to place two reed switches one on top of each other , the magnet fitted to the door would be level with the reed switch.

sorry trying to explain my problem.

Perhaps im imaging the wrong situation here, but im assuming youv`e had a new UPVC door fitted and imagine that when the door is closed that the internal rim of the door overhangs the door frame by 15mm to stop draughts.

Are you saying that if the magnet was positioned on top of the door rim, that there wouldnt be enough room for the reed switch to be fitted to the door frame above the magnet when the door is closed...?

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest kenny james
:D i understand what you mean now!! you are probably going to have to fit a flush mount instead this way you can maybe channel a hole from your wall into the hole made for your flush contact so you can feed your cable through otherwise as stated above just fit a pir instead wired up into zone 1,

Archived