Security Installer Community

Testing The Waters

I'm looking for some feedback please as to whether anyone thinks this is feasible, or just pie in the sky....

I won't got into the Company in detail but suffice to say we have been around 21 years, have BAFE Silver for Fire Systems, own our own offices etc. etc. and work generally in London and the south east.

We are going for Fire Gold (ISO 9000) which should be achieved within the next couple of months.

We have a good client base, many of whom keep asking us to maintain their security/cctv systems.

(Personally I'm more interested in the CCTV)

The problem, obviously, is we don't have NACOSS accreditation, and to be honest are not clued up in the security world at all. I've spoken to NSI and have already got the ISO forms ready to get NACOSS approval.

But, in a nutshell, we want to take on a good/hungry engineer, who can assist in the setting up of the security side of the business - concentrating on CCTV for the moment as we have been offered a couple of large maintenance contracts already.

The job will involve a bit of everything, quotes, surveys, engineering, call outs etc. the idea being that, over time, the job will become more managerial than hands on.

We are not a big company, and all muck in with a view to making a comfortable living. We have no problem investing in training or equipment etc.

We have offerd the job to a guy we know (self employed but no approvals), to be employed, and with a percentage of the profits for all new works, but he has his own reservations.

So the questions are....

What do you think the job is worth, how much would you want ?

If you are a sole trader at present, would you like to be "taken over" with the prospect of permanent employment, and the chance to be able to build "your" business with the backing of my company...?

Thoughts on postcard please..........?

I think the best type of person would be an experienced service engineer with installation experience looking to move up the ladder, ideally you want someone that has worked for a NACOSS company so they have a good idea of whats involved.

Maybe a security recruitment agency would be a good place to start, but be completely specific with your requirements with a starting sallary of 23-25k, looking for that engineer to quickly move up into a managerial role, so the chances are you will want to provide them with service engineering staff shortly after.

I think that initially you would have someone that can do the work you require immediately, while also developing the CCTV side of your company, that means the person looking after the CCTV contracts would be developing the future of his own career within your company.

Thanks Rich

Have always been a bit wary of Agencies, but it may be another option.

I'm a little surprised at the general lack of interest, I guess all the good engineers are already earning lots of money and in great jobs !!

That or everyone's out on the beer tonight .. :beer:

Yeah, they are probably all out on the razzle, if not, then in doors with a copy of razzle.

I think you are right to be weary of agencies, thats why I say be specific with them and make sure you see CV's and follow up references because you will really need the right person, the good engineers are usually taken up in this type of role so expect to wait a while, also word of mouth could be a good approach, ask engineers you meet and people you know, someone will eventually turn up that is right for the job.

I'm a little surprised at the general lack of interest, I guess all the good engineers are already earning lots of money and in great jobs !!

Think it could be because you are looking for the "Perfect employee" (Sorry your a bit to far from me ;) )

Maybe you would be better looking for engineers first, then look to take on a alarm manager as you start to get the work in :hmm:

I think you find most engineers don't want to move upto a managerial role.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

I agree with Richard, however if you have strong managment skills built up from your core business it should be easy to manage an experienced engineer and get him on the road. :cry:

Bri

trade.gif

Think it could be because you are looking for the "Perfect employee" (Sorry your a bit to far from me ;) )

I think you find most engineers don't want to move upto a managerial role.

Such a pity !!

you are all probably right, we are looking very much for "an ideal solution", the trouble is because we don't have the security background "in house" we would be very dependant on who ever we take on. Hence Agency man not necessarily best option.

There would also be a lot of responsibility with the job, which is why it seems to me to be a bit more than what would be expected of a normal service engineer... hence the better pay package.

Oh well, food for thought, thanks all, I appreciate your coments.

Dave

Such a pity !!

you are all probably right, we are looking very much for "an ideal solution", the trouble is because we don't have the security background "in house" we would be very dependant on who ever we take on. Hence Agency man not necessarily best option.

There would also be a lot of responsibility with the job, which is why it seems to me to be a bit more than what would be expected of a normal service engineer... hence the better pay package.

Oh well, food for thought, thanks all, I appreciate your coments.

Dave

I think you are definately looking for a damn good all rounder but I think he will have to be an employee may be in supervision but still very hands on when required,cant quote salaries but to get a good subby or sole trader to come over to you will cost you a hell of a lot more than than an existing employee in the industry although they will not admit it there hoped for earnings are at least twice + of an employee and not just because of there overheads you may be best trying an agency even though some dont like them the fact is that the higher end of the bussiness people tend to use them for leads,best of luck but do be very carefull who you choose.

Guest Alarm Guard

If you don't have security engineering knowledge, entrusting it to 1 person seems very risky. If he gets it wrong it will be you who carries the can, and he will be on the next bus out of town.

If you don't have security engineering knowledge, entrusting it to 1 person seems very risky. If he gets it wrong it will be you who carries the can, and he will be on the next bus out of town.

The person taking the position needs to be careful to, I know some one who did the same thing for a new company started by an ex cop with a dodgy history! had to resign due to D.I.C

(no not that! it was to do with cars and pubs) was promissed a 5% share of the company to help get it running ! worked his nuts off day and night till it was a nice little approved company then tryed to consolidate his 5% into paper and the git denighed it all, broke up his marriage to?????.

Archived