Security Installer Community

Rcd

got a job where the rcd trips about 6-7 times per day more so at night..4 sparks have tested the home+ rcd has been replaced but still same fault..any ex electricity board members here???started after elec board were working on supply in area...of course nowt to do with us they say....any ideas....as i say the whole system installation has been tested 4 times in a week with no faults found...

Does it trip willy nilly or when someone switches on a device?

Is the RCD covering the whole installation or just sockets and shower ccts etc?

Any shorts between neutral and earth?

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

please supply more details of fault;

what is on the circuit that is tripping?

i presume your alarm spur is on the circuit and that is why you are involved or is it purely an electrical fault?

details, details...........

The usual sulution to this type of problem is same as on an alarm, disc various parts ie lights, sockets etc until it does,nt do it anymore then reconnect small bit one at a time

paul

PS although i work as a alarms engineer i am supposely a electrician by trade!! :hmm:

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Gaz, I have a mate at NEDL Hexham. I will ask him in the morning if he can think of anything.

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

I'd test appliances too, or at least likely candidates like kettles, toasters, wm, td etc.... as most of these sparadic random tripping faults turn out to be faulty appliances.

I'd also get the customer to use an absolute bare minimum of appliances at all times so at night all they should have plugged in is there alarm clock and bedside lamp. If the fault disappears then start re-introducing things into the circuit, plug the washer in one night, tumble dryer the next etc...

Although unlikely I have seen equipement damaged due to local electricity board working accross the road causing havock when they put 3phase power across 240v supply by accident, even if they just did this momentarily it could damage the insulation particularly on windings like coils or transformers.

As a point of interest I came across an RCD tripping due to a solanoid in a gas central heating boiler high res to earth.

Like the other posts the most likely is an apliance ,kettles ,irons ,toasters ,cooker elements , washing machines etc etc. and to find out which isolate and or test them in turn.

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

If you are sure that the installation has been tested and there are no phase/earth, neutral/earth faults present, check all the connections on the supply side of the RCD. It sounds daft, but I have come across a couple of RCDs that have tripped because of a loose termination on the mains tails....apparently RCDs are sensitive to supply voltage fluctuations.

Trade Full Member

Archived