Security Installer Community

Outside Horn/sounder

ranger

Hello All,

Im working on an old install (i say old, i mean, onefrom a few years ago and its new to me).

Its a galaxy 60 :) Quite a good install.. 2 RIOs.. vipers, panic buttons, Dual techs, comms module, smart psu.

Well the system was basically off, the wires were all not connected. :cry:

So i set out tracing the wires and detectors.. quite amusing to turn around and find a detector you didnt know existed.

Well, ill get to the point; ive got a few wires in the panel that are 'spare'.. i was told my previous neighbours that there was a horn type noice that used to sound when the alarm was going off on the back of the building. So i started wondering if the spare wires could lead me to whatever it was. :whistle:

So i powered some of the cores and was still no further, then.. i touched a couple of wires together and i hear a.. how can you put it.. NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Like a little whaling noice comming from the back entrance/courtyard.. so i went out a nearby fire exit and it gets louder.. which is then i realise its comming from a 'flat' box on the wall.. silver, like a black or perhaps blue strip along the top... rectanglar shape basically.

The noice was basically a whale that sort of 'flows' down and then up and then down.. (Nerrrrrrrr... rrrr NEERRRRRR... Neerrrr....rr.. )

When i returned to the panel.. i pulled apart the 2 wires and it stopped.... ive basically got it down to 2 of the spare wires that it could be.

Anyway.. THE POINT OF THE POST : atm i have the red core to + and black to an output on the smart psu.. now this is where im confused.. on testing the output you get a NERRRRRRRR then thats it. so i stop the test, restart.. NERRRRRR then thats it. :(

What could be the reason for this? Anybody know what sort of horn/sounder i have come across?

Maybe it has an internal battery and its got to 'charge' (Very unlikely at its age now :no: ) and if fully charged it can create longer pules.. well..that wouldnt explain the long run i had before.

Im free tomorrow and will get the steps out (its only a little higher than a door frame) and take a look inside... maybe it SAB

Any thoughts and help would be great

Thanks all B)

(Sorry for long post..)

Ranger

The above is my personal opinion and not that of my employer or anyone else.

The noice was basically a whale that sort of 'flows' down and then up and then down.. (Nerrrrrrrr... rrrr NEERRRRRR... Neerrrr....rr.. )

That wouldn't be the same whale that's swimming in the Thames just now would it ? :whistle:

UTC - The dawn of a new era !

Have you checked the programming of the output?

Does it remain latched on during the whole test, until you stop it. or is it programmed up as something else, like strobe pulse on set for example.

Also what happens when you create an alarm rather than just testing?

Thanks for your replies,

sorry about the red... and the imitation of the noice

Well as i said, i have only just found the lead to it and the sounder so it wasnt programmed into the panel, as i said, it was all de-wired and a mess.

I currently have it on galaxy output 17 - Horn, have tried all 3 modes on horn; Latch, Reflex and Pulse (tried different seconds)

Will be opening it up later today to find out what the condition is like and perhaps a bit more on the how it works side.

Any help would be really great!

Ranger

OK i will try that in a few hours. :P

Will try and get a good picture, was wondering if i should...

Will do that soon too.

if its a SAB/SCB you will need more than the "red & black" connected.

Yes i thought of that too.

Best thing to do it look inside first i think.

Hello again all,

I took a few pictures but this is most likely the best one,

:fear::fear:!!

I was at the sounder and i went to unscrew the screws but they were to tight due to rust by the looks of things, and there isnt a lot of space for my drill to undo it.

I had the sounder connected at + volts still.. and - at an output.. but when i went to test it.. nothing happened.. but it was exactly how i left it working yesturday.

Anyway.. i was at the panel and i removed the plus and negative.. nothing happened...

i looked at some of the other cores.. yellow.. blue.. green.. white if i remember correctly.

When i realised the yellow and blue were twisted :hmm:

So i untiwsted them.. and all hell broke loose :fear:

The sounder went off... i reconnected to + & - and also retwisted the yellow and blue.. but nothing would stop it... so i turned the panel off.. and got my multimeter out and the plus and negative read 5.85v, so it has a battery in it.. which must have been charging from when i left it last night perhaps :whistle:

Anyway.. after what seemed ages (maybe it was a 20min shut off.. but it seemed like ages) it just stopped out of the blue..

The plus and negative still read 5.85v and im not sure where to go from here as to not set it off again as it drove the people on site mad.

Any help would be great! I dont want to remove the wrong cores again so ive left it for the time being..

All seems odd to me :no:

Ranger

post-6243-1137854656_thumb.jpg

Archived