Security Installer Community

Number Of Smoke Detectors

Guest heliart

Guest heliart

Just a general question about adding smoke detectors to an alarm panel.

Is it worth adding a detector in every room in the house, so for a 3 bed semi, you would add like 7 or 8 detectors, or is this just a little over the top???

cheers.

Probably a little over the top to be honest and some rooms are unsuitable for smoke detection, Kitchens and bathrooms for example.

I have a CO in the hall, one on the landing and one in my "office".

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Quite sure bs5839 pt6 now recommends smoke detectors in hallway,landing & one other habitated ground floor room (lounge) + heat detector in kitchen + smoke detector in garage if it is built into the house.

Trade Full Member

Quite sure bs5839 pt6 now recommends................

Don't forget added smokes to an intruder alarm won't comply with building regs

also your intruder alarm smoke won't have any sounders in the heads like a part 6 system

Not to sound ignorant, but what's the standard for residential fire alarm for minimum installation but meeting all relevent standards?

I have to install a smoke on each floor excluding the attic/loft, and in each bedroom in order to comply.

We've had the photoelectric smokes with integral heats, with drift compensation, sensitivity smoothing, as well as output for maintenance signals to be recognized and sent to a monitoring station for years.

Not to sound ignorant, but what's the standard for residential fire alarm for minimum installation but meeting all relevent standards?

Up until recently it was basically one on each floor in communal areas such as halls and landings. It's just been upgraded to add another detector in another room so a basic spec in the average house now is one in the hall, one on the landing and one in (probably) the kitchen. The detectors have to be mains operated with power fail backup and also be interlinked for simultaneous signalling when one device is operated.

Pretty basic stuff really.

Texecom do a combined heat and smoke detector.

I've got a couple in my house, could do with adding a couple more, also fitted the odd one on customers premises. Can't say as I've had any trouble with any them so far.

Guest Cerberus NI

Don't see much point in installing detectors in bedrooms - some sort of audible warning in the locallity yes. Pretty much reckon hall,landings,kitchen (though likely that the smoke outside the kitchen would go first) and the living room with all that nice 'leccy stuff that we now leave on stand by!

Anyone old enough to remember the "bedtime routine" info film- "The TV set must be unplugged last thing every night..." (continues singing very out of key!)

Up until recently it was basically one on each floor in communal areas such as halls and landings. It's just been upgraded to add another detector in another room so a basic spec in the average house now is one in the hall, one on the landing and one in (probably) the kitchen. The detectors have to be mains operated with power fail backup and also be interlinked for simultaneous signalling when one device is operated.

Pretty basic stuff really.

I've got a couple in my house, could do with adding a couple more, also fitted the odd one on customers premises. Can't say as I've had any trouble with any them so far.

Aico wireless not bad for this scenario, just take local 240VAC supply to each smoke.

Must admit it does baffle me as to why a bolt on the ceiling smoke is recognised by BS and smokes added to a fully maintained NSI/SSAIB alarm are not?

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

Don't see much point in installing detectors in bedrooms - some sort of audible warning in the locallity yes. Pretty much reckon hall,landings,kitchen (though likely that the smoke outside the kitchen would go first) and the living room with all that nice 'leccy stuff that we now leave on stand by!

Anyone old enough to remember the "bedtime routine" info film- "The TV set must be unplugged last thing every night..." (continues singing very out of key!)

We're required to do it should it be a required system in a house. Every bedroom or sleeping area shall have a smoke inside of it, and all are required for tandem ring. The general guideline for a bedroom/sleeping area is any room that can be closed off that contains a closet inside of it.

The reason for having them inside the rooms, is imagine if little Timmy is playing inside of his room with matches or something, or a fire starts inside a closed room, the amount of time it would take for a smoke alarm to go off adjacent to that room would compromise a person's escape time, as well as property damage prior to the brigade getting there.

We're even required to put one on each end of a long hallway (10M), in addition to the regular sounders, each head of our units is required to have an 85 db or louder sounder inside of it, with an audible level of 80db or 25 db higher than the location's ambient noises. We can have a standalone fire panel, or a combination intruder/fire panel, provided it carries all the proper listings and wiring methods are maintained using proper fire resistant/low toxicity jacketing on the cables.

I just find it somewhat shocking and apalling that GB seems to be behind the times on this subject. Inform me if I'm wrong.

I can install all the CO detectors in the world into a premises to detect incomplete combustion products, but what happens should the person suffocate on the smoke or toxins produced by burining plastics and other common materials first?

Like I said, inform me if I'm off base, since I don't work in GB.

Archived