Security Installer Community

Going To See A British Gas Alarm.. ??

Hey Guys,

Ive been to the site today,

The panel created a low-audiable tamper on the panel which is simply reset by the master code.

I sorted all the detectors and the faults and the panel displays 'ready', the system sets and unsets, alarms and the smoke and panic buttons work too.

When i turned off the AC power, and removed the battery... the internal sounder still went off??? but, so far, the outside bellbox has not come on.. even after removing the hold offs. (theres a dummy one too)

I figured the internal sounder must be connected with (down the same wire) to the bell box??? So the internal sounder was getting the power from the battery of the bell box.

The only wires i can find relating to the sounders is a negative in BELL- and a positive in RED... when i placed these 2 on the battery it powered the internal sounder.

Does any of you guys know how these bell boxes are wired or if the above is possible and how to make it work.

Also, when i powered it back up.. there was no clicking from the box.. does this mean i can default the panel via the hardware way which i now know.

Sorry for long explaination and hope it makes sence

Regards, Ranger

The above is my personal opinion and not that of my employer or anyone else.

Hey Guys,

The panel created a low-audiable tamper on the panel which is simply reset by the master code.

I sorted all the detectors and the faults and the panel displays 'ready', the system sets and unsets, alarms and the smoke and panic buttons work too.

When i turned off the AC power, and removed the battery... the internal sounder still went off??? but, so far, the outside bellbox has not come on.. even after removing the hold offs. (theres a dummy one too)

I figured the internal sounder must be connected with (down the same wire) to the bell box??? So the internal sounder was getting the power from the battery of the bell box.

The only wires i can find relating to the sounders is a negative in BELL- and a positive in RED... when i placed these 2 on the battery it powered the internal sounder.

Does any of you guys know how these bell boxes are wired or if the above is possible and how to make it work.

Also, when i powered it back up.. there was no clicking from the box.. does this mean i can default the panel via the hardware way which i now know.

Regards, Ranger

It will be a dummy box on the outside, with a SAB internal sounder :huh:

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Hey Guys,

Think you will find that as the system is a monitored one the external boxes are dummies and the only sounders are internal

You can default the panel if you want, but as you have been told already unless you have British Gas Manual and the suplementary programming sheet and THEIR DEFAULT CODE not the engineer code you will not be able to do anything.

Regards, Ranger

Hey guys.

cheers for all your replies today.

I have the system in a good state now, all "trouble" errors and now gone, all detectors cleaned and checked.. control panel and battery voltages are fine ect.

But.. on testing the system.. i realised that the system is programed to have to be reset via BG down the telephone line.. the idea is if you create an alarm by accident or for what ever reason. you stop it and then it wont display 'ready' again until you ring them up and they connect to the panel and reset it

Seen as the system was installed in 2000 and the family moved in last year, it doesnt look like the monitoring is still active. So i told the family the situation and explained they could go back with BG monitoring and have them reset it by phone when it goes off and be monitored ect..

Or i could replace the panel and the keypad.. creating little mess (as its in a little pantry) and the panel would then belong to them and they could reset as they need to. My thoughts was the Galaxy 8 i first thought about. And told them it have a speech dialler fitted to it ect. (BTW.. anyone got any better ideas?? Not sure weather another panel would be better.. maybe one with voice telecom features avalible.. )

Anyway... Which ever they decide.. ive done my bit for today.

Thanks for your help guys.

Regards, Ranger

Or i could replace the panel and the keypad.. creating little mess (as its in a little pantry) and the panel would then belong to them and they could reset as they need to. My thoughts was the Galaxy 8 i first thought about. And told them it have a speech dialler fitted to it ect. (BTW.. anyone got any better ideas?? Not sure weather another panel would be better.. maybe one with voice telecom features avalible.. )

QX18i or QX34i (has integrated speech and digi). problem is that keypad is smaller.. (doesn't necessarily fill all screwholes from dsc kp..)

thou reporting format 06 in dsc works too but just isn't very informative.. keypad should function ok if you chance only the panel PCB.

• 5 weeks later...

OK guys.. i know this has been a while lol..

Ive had a call from them out of the blue.. (they have been using the panel fine)...

they have been up in the loft and found the core going to the bell box by accident.. so ive told them that i could come take a look again.. as i was sure there was no bell wired to the panel.. but it sounds like the battery is dead....

any idea what sort of battery will be in this bell? (BG) and where to get it from.. any exact battery models would be great

Ranger

Archived