Security Installer Community

Concept 6 - Tamper Light

Guest Guest_Mark_*

Guest Guest_Mark_*

Somebody please help.

A while back i cut through one of the cables to a PIR. the alarm system came up with tampered. I pulled the fuse and left it until i finished plastering etc. I bought some alarm cable and spliced it back together. Once i put power back into the system i enter the code which stops it going off. But then the tamper light comes on i i can't do anything else.

Any ideas

Guest Peter James

Sounds like the battery is deffinately u/s as turning the power off should not of made any difference.

If you still have a tamper fault then its most likely due to not all the cables joined as they should be, but its not one of those faults that can be easily diagnosed without seeing it.

When was the last time it was serviced (my guess is never)

Pete

Sounds like the battery is deffinately u/s as turning the power off should not of made any difference.

If you still have a tamper fault then its most likely due to not all the cables joined as they should be, but its not one of those faults that can be easily diagnosed without seeing it.

When was the last time it was serviced (my guess is never)

Pete

Never is right, when i moved into the house we had nothing but a scrap of paper with the zones listed on, that was it. i'll look at the wires and get a new battery and see what happens, how much would a service be (ball park)

cheers for the help

Guest Accenta
Somebody please help.

A while back i cut through one of the cables to a PIR. the alarm system came up with tampered. I pulled the fuse and left it until i finished plastering etc. I bought some alarm cable and spliced it back together. Once i put power back into the system i enter the code which stops it going off. But then the tamper light comes on i i can't do anything else.

Any ideas

I feel that any member of the Public who decides to actually ask these alleged 'tradesmen' for advice on this forum are wasting their time.

All you are likely to get is "Sorry we are unable to give that sort of restricted information out to non-trade" and "post your location on this site and see if someone nearby can come round and (charge!) help you.

As far as I am concerned, as an ex-service and maint engineer and installer for a reputable nationwide Company for five years, you lot are just using this site as a method of picking up easy work and probably charging a fortune for it.

If a member of the public is that desperate to ask you so-called tradesmen for advice on a forum on the Internet I would suggest they are pretty desperate and probably can not afford a visit by one of you anyway!

From what I have seen from most of the posts on this forum most of the non-trade members of the public seem reasonably switched on to at least be trying to fix this pretty mino problems themselves.

I suppose if I were to offer some constructive advice including eng codes for the older panels and advice on how to crash these older panels ready for re-programming the advice would be removed by a do gooding moderator! :banned:

Thanks for that, now I can see what we've been doing wrong. :rolleyes:

Couple of points though. I have not picked up work involving fixing or installing end users alarm systems off of this forum or from any other web based activities. If I did, it wouldn't be a rip off and I don't see where you have got this idea from and I would appreciate it if you kept the unsubstantiated comments to a minimum.

If a member of the public comes here for advice it doesn't mean they are desperate and broke, it simply means they have a problem and used the internet to search for a solution. This solution may be something requiring an engineer visit. Some people have been sent away with all the information they require to repair their own alarm system and many view threads and find the info they require without even making a single post.

As for handing out engineer codes to everyone that requests them, why? The engineer codes are there so end users do not end up compromising their own systems by altering settings that they have no understanding of. There are other threads regarding this subject and I suggest you search for and read them before continuing on this subject here.

Finally, why does the fact that a panel is old mean that anyone should be able to crash it? There are many domestic and commercial properties with old but fully functioning alarm systems protecting them, I can't think why you'd want everyone to have information on how to default these. As far as I'm concerned old alarm panels should be treated the same as new ones, i.e. the technical information on them should be restricted to engineers.

Guest Accenta
Thanks for that, now I can see what we've been doing wrong. :rolleyes:

Couple of points though. I have not picked up work involving fixing or installing end users alarm systems off of this forum or from any other web based activities. If I did, it wouldn't be a rip off and I don't see where you have got this idea from and I would appreciate it if you kept the unsubstantiated comments to a minimum.

If a member of the public comes here for advice it doesn't mean they are desperate and broke, it simply means they have a problem and used the internet to search for a solution. This solution may be something requiring an engineer visit. Some people have been sent away with all the information they require to repair their own alarm system and many view threads and find the info they require without even making a single post.

As for handing out engineer codes to everyone that requests them, why? The engineer codes are there so end users do not end up compromising their own systems by altering settings that they have no understanding of. There are other threads regarding this subject and I suggest you search for and read them before continuing on this subject here.

Finally, why does the fact that a panel is old mean that anyone should be able to crash it? There are many domestic and commercial properties with old but fully functioning alarm systems protecting them, I can't think why you'd want everyone to have information on how to default these. As far as I'm concerned old alarm panels should be treated the same as new ones, i.e. the technical information on them should be restricted to engineers.

Ok, maybe I have been a little bit hasty with regards to my conclusions about all the tradesmen/members of this forum. Not everyone here appears to be using this forum to drum up custom.

Giving out knowledge on crashing panels and giving out eng codes does not really constitute a security risk, for one thing, any alarm company worth their salt would not leave the default 'factory' eng code on any of their panels.

Another thing, even if the eng code given to one of your members of the public over this forum did turn out to be correct, they can not use the eng code to unset a set panel. If they had access to a panel in 'day mode' they may be able to leave it in eng mode making it awkward for the alarm user to set, but if they had any unscrupulous intentions they would need to know a whole lot more information to omit zones, silence SASU's, turn digi communicators off etc in eng mode.

Accenta. :P

If you dont like our rules and regulations you know what you can go and do.

Sorry, but you as a site supporter are not the rule maker here - it's the moderators dopey! :cry:

Accenta.

I remember when scantronic 9100, 9200, 9600 and 9800 eng and user instructions were available to anyone who cared to as scantronic for them!!!

Archived