Security Installer Community

Dome covers for cameras?

Guest deefadog

Guest deefadog

Can you get a dome covers that can fit over a small outdoor camera, so that the camera and ir's can see through, but they look dark from the outside?

Thanks

I doubt it. First of all, any dark domes will presumably reduce the effectiveness of the IR.

How do you propose to mount the dome over a standard camera?

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

You can get dome units as used for PTZ domes and mount standard cameras inside, the only problem if you want to use IR lighting is that it will reflect back inside the dome and will probably be no good, Saying that you can get mini vandal dome housings with IR cameras inside, no idea how well they work though but the dome covers are very small and the ones ive seen are smoked.

Guest deefadog

Thanks for the replies, it was just a thought, i would rather have the camera a bit more stealth is it were, as it's fitted outside a bungalow and within arms reach, well long arms reach :)

If i had the dome that would not reflect back the ir's it could get a suitable bracket made up to secure it! btw it the camera is quite small (those cheap **** of ebay) as you guyz call them :) but to be honest it really does have a nice picture and does what i need it to do!

I think for future a better solution than a camera with integrated IR led's would be to use a seperate IR led lamp and a bullet day/night camera, one advantage would be that the IR leds wont directly reflect light back from cobwebs into the camera lens.

You can get dome units as used for PTZ domes and mount standard cameras inside, the only problem if you want to use IR lighting is that it will reflect back inside the dome and will probably be no good, Saying that you can get mini vandal dome housings with IR cameras inside, no idea how well they work though but the dome covers are very small and the ones ive seen are smoked.

The ones I tested had a clear dome and used a rubber grommet around the camera that was stuck onto the dome to stop any light between the ir led

• 2 years later...

Archived