Security Installer Community

Apprenticeship Training - Maybe ADT

The Comet

Hello all.

I have been intrested in alarm systems for a long time now and by myself i have actully installed 2 systems that to this day, still work and are going strong.

I decided a little while back now that this is what i want to be doing for a living. I have been reading topics on here for ages now, and have learnt so much from you guys.

Anyway, point of the post is: I am looking for somewhere to apply for an apprenticeship for once i leave school (May/June time comming up). Im 15 at the moment but in July, I'll be 16 and most apprenticeships start around that time so that shouldnt be a problem.

I have be e-mailing a few companys in peterborough (home town) and asking on any details and mentioning what im looking for ect.

I looked on //.National Installer.//'s site and read a little about their apprenticeship training programme, But im a little confused to as how it is run.

Could anyone tell me the process of the programme (if anyone here has been on it, heard about it ect).. i read a little about a training center in Birmingham, is this where i would have to go? If so, for how long ect..

Or would it have something to do with a local office? Are their local offices that are not advertised, as if my 'local office' wouldnt exactly be local, and you are expected to be on day realease for 1 day at college whilst on the //.National Installer.// training programme. How is this all this possible if you are at birmingham or another town at a 'local office'

ARGH! lol.. if anyone could put my mind at rest to how its run id be greatful :)

Sorry about the long post and perhaps repeating myself :P

Lee

Guest Cerberus NI

Greetings!!I never attended the apprentice scheme but I worked as a service engineer for them.From what I can gather you go in as an apprentice in your local office (or hub!) working alongside another engineer.There are set stages where you attend Birmingham for assessment and additional training and I think you do day release.

Thanks for your reply

What do you mean by local office or hub? Hub??

So you mean i would be at a local area? Doing day release 1 day of the week.. obviously working the other days.

If anyone could comment i would be greatful to.

Hi Lee

My advice for what it's worth is:

1 Contact all local and national firms explaining your desires for your career.

2 Based on their response,which may or may not include offers of apprenticeship,come back to the forums for feedback.

3 Have your goals set for what you want and expect to achieve, have them written down so you can refer to them on a daily basis, making any adjustments as you procede.

4 Prepare all questions that you want answering in advance so you can show that you are serious about your career.

That should keep you busy for a day or two.

Best wishes

Vince

PS Hubs are used to describe centres of wheels where the spokes come from and the illustration is applied to offices as a centre and engineers work out from those centres

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

Archived