Security Installer Community

Veritas 8c "24HR" red light

Guest Fazley

I have just moved into a new house that has a Veritas 8c installed.

I have the code that the previous owners left but don't really understand the unit at all. I tried to set it for the first time last night and I will try and recall the chain of events...

I pressed "PART" which is everything I had been told was necessary to set the system. My wife then said "you'd better have a look at the panel properly" and lifted the top flap which set the alarm off.

I punched in the code which turned the alarm off but now it has lit a red light marked "24HR" that I can find no mention of anywhere.

I waited for a while before leaving to make sure it was Ok then left for the evening. I hope to God it hasn't been going off all night as I haven't been back to the house yet.

What is the light? What have I done and how do I fix it if I've caused a problem?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated...

Sounds like the tamper switch on the keypad.

I would get the system checked over by a loacl engineer to make sure its all ok and wont give problems.

Thanks - anyone else got any suggestions as I don't want to spend the £80 odd just yet?

Thanks - anyone else got any suggestions as I don't want to spend the £80 odd just yet?

Hi

I agree with Wistle, it does sound like a very sensitive tamper switch,however, you said you lifted the top flap and I believe the flap swings down on the remote keypad so are you talking about the lid of the control panel( end station) or the lid of the keypad when you say top flap?

Either way if left unfixed it will happen again.

Causes include: Lid not fitted correctly, faulty switch, uneven wall or you may have been pulling on the wrong place and opperated the anti-tamper switch unintentionally in which case pressing the reset button should put it to bed

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

Hi

I agree with Wistle, it does sound like a very sensitive tamper switch,however, you said you lifted the top flap and I believe the flap swings down on the remote keypad so are you talking about the lid of the control panel( end station) or the lid of the keypad when you say top flap?

Either way if left unfixed it will happen again.

Causes include: Lid not fitted correctly, faulty switch, uneven wall or you may have been pulling on the wrong place and opperated the anti-tamper switch unintentionally in which case pressing the reset button should put it to bed

It was the flap along the top of the control panel, underneath it has text telling you how to part set, Full set and reset the box.

Should pressing the reset button sort it out then?

It was the flap along the top of the control panel, underneath it has text telling you how to part set, Full set and reset the box.

Should pressing the reset button sort it out then?

Anyone? I can't believe that just by opening the plastic flap I've done something that requires an £80 engineer bill to fix it! If that's the case, I don't want the damn thing!

The years of neglect and users not wanting to use the system to its full potential ( eg not having it serviced or the battery changed ) has caused this fault, Shop around because prices vary between companies. As said before this could be just a minor fault with the system . Post your area and someone may be able to see what the problem is.

Dave Oxendale

York based security systems engineer.

The years of neglect and users not wanting to use the system to its full potential ( eg not having it serviced or the battery changed ) has caused this fault, Shop around because prices vary between companies. As said before this could be just a minor fault with the system . Post your area and someone may be able to see what the problem is.

Thanks for your comments but the people we bought the house from have had a service contract, they told me it had been checked and the battery changed every year.

Fair enough, sounds unlikely that it has had a new battery every year but anyway.....

If there is an installation fault, i.e. physical fault with the switch or attachment to the wall of the panel then pressing reset isn't going to fix it is it?

If this does happen again you will want to call an engneer to check the system over.

Archived