Security Installer Community

Gardtec 800 panel and remote keypad

Guest keithaiger

Guest keithaiger

I have recently purchased an 11 year old house with an existing Gardtec 800 system with no indication of who installed it. The system is switched off, but I noticed the backup battery is leaking slightly from the bottom of the control panel.

Is it possible just to replace the battery or would the entire control panel (and presumably the remote keypad) need replacing. Can it be replaced with another make and use the existing wiring. If so what would you recommend, either professionally installed or by a very competent DIYer.

I have recently purchased an 11 year old house with an existing Gardtec 800 system with no indication of who installed it. The system is switched off, but I noticed the backup battery is leaking slightly from the bottom of the control panel.

Is it possible just to replace the battery or would the entire control panel (and presumably the remote keypad) need replacing. Can it be replaced with another make and use the existing wiring. If so what would you recommend, either professionally installed or by a very competent DIYer.

70414[/snapback]

GardTec 800 is a professional system.

You will need an engineer to power it up and test the system to see if it is working fine - obviously there is no way of knowing if it is OK until then.

If you don't know the user code you won't be able to do anything with the system so it will have to be defaulted back to its factory settings (and if the engineer code is "locked" then it won't default and the panel should be sent back to the manufacturer).

Default information is not permitted to be given out on this forum.

I would remove the battery and dispose of it correctly (and carefully). There is no point in replacing it unless you have codes.

If you want the system to be monitored then a newer version of the panel would be required. If just Bells Only then no reason why you can't use it until it dies.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Thanks Zak for your prompt response. I will follow your advice.

keithaiger

70591[/snapback]

No problem. If you have any other questions about this please ask.

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Guest keithaiger

Zak

I have tried to open the case to remove the battery by pressing the release clips on the side of the casing, but it seems to be stuck on the base where there appears to be another clip of some sort. Is there a standard way of releasing this? The case in question is the one which can also be fitted with a keypad (mine has a blanking panel over the aperture).

keithaiger

If you look underneath the control panel you will see a small screw about a third of the way along the bottom (from right to left). Undo the screw (not necessary to remove completely) and you will find then that you can use the side release buttons to remove the cover. Atleast, that is what should happen!

if the engineer code is "locked" then it won't default and the panel should be sent back to the manufacturer.

70424[/snapback]

Get the right company in to avoid the above and get the system working within hour if there are no major faults.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Nova, GardTec tell all that locked panels should be sent back to them for unlocking. Just because a couple of people on here have the time and inclination to work out how to do it themselves does not mean that companies that don't know how to do it are either inferior or incompetent.

Zak, not long ago Mavrick and I dicussed in length openly in the trade section about defaulting Gardtec panels which a decent engineer could do on site and save time returning panels to gardtec for unlocking, would you take a panel out of a customers leaving them with no prtection until you get their panel back from Gardtec, how would you explain that to your insurance company if you got a claim against you, also how many engineers carried old panels for this type of situation.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Archived