Security Installer Community

Intruder Alarm without alarm only log?

Guest PsyMaverick

Guest PsyMaverick

I found this web forum by chance and it looks like a great place for some advice.

Basically I manage a residential CCTV System with internal and external cameras, which operate 24 hours per day. This is fine for security but occasionally I have incidents, which I need to check the images for E.G. damage done outside of viewing such as stair wells or refuse lobbies, which can be tricky as I have no indication when there was someone in that area so I have to view a large time frame.

Since having my time lapse recorders changed to Mitsubishi HS-1096 and playing back on a Panasonic AG- 6730 I can not perform a quick review of video tapes so have to play back in real time which takes forever. At least when they were all Panasonic models I could review an hour in about 10 minutes.

I wondered if there was an intruder alarm system which could operate 9 motion sensors connected by wire which would only record activity for each sensor over a period of 1 month or a high number of events such as 3000 for total sensors or about 300 per sensor. Power supply is not a problem for the panel and this can be located safely. I would need to be able to review the events log so I could note times relevant to an area. Would a motion sensor be the only / best option or maybe a laser sensor?

If this were not possible then maybe just one sensor with 200 events would cover one location adequately.

I would appreciate any help / advice and I would be looking for an economical system as there isn

Guest mikechids

Have you considered a digital camera system? i.e no video tapes, it records on a hard disk Have a look at www.dedicatedmicros.com. I had a `digital sprite 2` system at work and it was quite impressive. I think you can set it up to monitor movement within a picture and create a log of events.

Bet its not cheap though.....I never had to pay for it so I don`t mind :wacko:

Nailed loads of shoplifters with it though....even the cops said it was good!!

Mike

Guest PsyMaverick

Thanks for replies

I appreciate your help but although I mange the CCTV system the Security company Cartel actually maintain it though the local authority. The system already has over 30 cameras covering the building but my only problem is black spots which can encourage loitering and vandalism out of controlled hours. I wish I had a digital system on hardrive but the system is only 2 years old and they wont consider improving for another few years as the system is doing what it was intended to do perfectly. Just I want that little bit more control of out of view areas which I can check on if I know when they are entered. The digital camera system sounds good but more than what I actually need. All I really want is a motion sensor to record movement at a location and to be able to retrieve that logged information should I need to up to a month later which is as long as I keep images for. Which would be in the region of about 3000 events for 9 sensors.

The systems I have seen for example in Argos do not say how many events they record or indeed if they do record events so I have no product knowledge in that department.

Price has to be kept to a minimal because this would be seen as an improvment which isn't really required for normal operation.

Any other info would be appreciated

Thanks

Colin

Some Menvier panels (TS790 +) have a log expandable to 1500 events, i know thats still not enough for this situation though.

Just wait for the EN50131 panels to start appearing, They will have larger logging capabillities available but will cost a lot more.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

If you have a spare PC around (doesnt matter how old it is) you could add a I/O board and record the activations of the inputs... but it will be a lot of faffing about getting it right and you would need a seperate 12v PSU to supply the PIR's.

Dale

Guest PsyMaverick

Thanks for all your replies.

I will look into all the ideas and let you know what I come up with if anything.

If anyone knows of an ecomical panel with high events I would be grateful.

Colin

Guest PsyMaverick

Just been investigating the Menvier range and believe the TS2500 may be worth a look. It has a 4000 event log and can print out results which would be great. Only problem is I cant find the price yet online so may have to phone to get a quote. Would this panel be difficult to setup as a novice?

Another interesting point is the Office alarm is actually a TS790 / TS900 model, which one I do not know but I have the manual which is same for both. If only this model had a higher event log it would be suitable as the wiring is actually straightforward. All areas are in same location with about 20 metres vertical seperation ie on different floor levels.

If anyone does have a price quote for the TS2500 or similar please reply.

Thank you

Colin

Interesting details below:

TS2500 COMMERCIAL HARDWIRED CONTROL PANEL

The Networker TS2500 is Menvier Security's most advanced intruder alarm system. The system uses state-of-the-art electronics to provide comprehensive protection for medium to large business premises and prestige residencies. In contrast to the TS2500's sophisticated operations it is easy to programme. However, the most significant advantage of the TS2500, for installers and customers, is unparalleled flexibility in configuration and

control, giving users the highest levels of protection from intruders.

Key Features

Up to 1040 programmable zones

4 types of Networker remote keypad available (NETLCD, NETSTAR, NETLED, NETARM)

NETLCD recommended

Accepts up to 512 remote keypads per system

Accepts plug-on prox reader module (NETLCD, NETLED and NETARM compatible)

4000 event log (time and date stamped) with printer output facility

You could just change the existing panel for a TS2500 as the keypads and expanders are compatible and link the new detectors to it and program them so that they operate as separate system within the main building one.

Cost of a TS2500 box only (not including installation) would be in the region of £600 plus Vat.

It is definately not a panel that a novice should install.

If youre existing alarm is monitored, then you should ask your installer for a cost, if were to go down the route of an upgrade.

What part of the country are you in and one of the guys would be able to do a survey for you and advise you further.

Colin.

Archived