Security Installer Community

Non switched fused spur... you knew it would come!

Guest John C

Joe public needs to ensure compliance with Part Pbuilding regulations.

You should not be fitting fused spurs or any electrical equipment unless you are competant to do so. If you ever sell your house or have an electrical problem and the electrics are not up to scratch, this cheapness will end up costing you more.

More importantly messing with the electrics unless you are competant to do so can Kill you or a familly member/friends.

Food for thought!

69649[/snapback]

slightly off topic but Part P is the biggest crock of ***** ever brought in there a more holes in it than a cheap tea bag, until a Corgi style of control is brought in people will still continue to do DIY electrics

;)

Joe public needs to ensure compliance with Part Pbuilding regulations.

You should not be fitting fused spurs or any electrical equipment unless you are competant to do so. If you ever sell your house or have an electrical problem and the electrics are not up to scratch, this cheapness will end up costing you more.

More importantly messing with the electrics unless you are competant to do so can Kill you or a familly member/friends.

Food for thought!

69649[/snapback]

I'm not sure what gave you the impression I wasn't or whether you are just advising but I've dealt with lots of mains electricity related jobs in the past. I am aware of these regulations. However, running next to where the fused spur will be is a power socket already.

I would class this as:

"A: You do not need to tell your local authority's Building Control Department about:

Repairs, replacements and maintenance work; or

Extra power points or lighting points or other alterations to existing circuits"

...as it is effectively an extra power point.

My query stems from ascertaining which box is best suited for the installation of an Intruder Alarm.

Many thanks all.

Great site - I wish I knew more about the security game to be able to contribute more and be worth registering!

You don't need a red one, and the grey is actually white.

69645[/snapback]

Are you sure they are white?

Looking at the picture, there seem to be two white ones but the other two on the same line look grey and the whole of the ones towards the top also look grey!

:unsure:

Are you sure they are white?

Looking at the picture, there seem to be two white ones but the other two on the same line look grey and the whole of the ones towards the top also look grey!

69871[/snapback]

Sorry, yeah, they're grey! The ones at the top of the page are normal metalclad spurs, the ones at the bottom are the keyswitched variety.

So how many firms actually use neon unswitched spurs?

I am yet to see a double pole unswitched spur fitted ever!

69878[/snapback]

Probably because there is no such thing as a DP unswitched fused spur. :whistle:

Having said all this about the need for DP isolation and also not using normal DP switched fused spurs I can't say as I have ever seen a fire or intruder alarm etc... that wasn't supplied from a non-switched or switched fused spur with or without neon, i.e. never seen one of these Contactum switches fitted anywhere. :no:

So if these Metalclad boxes are few and far between (and I am having fun trying to find one!) - is there any particular box someone could point me towards that will do the job of an unswitched spur where you guys would install an alarm and connect it to?

Screwfix tends to be no nonsense but I can't see unswitched boxes other than the original one I posted the link to a while back...

Ta muchly!

Archived