Security Installer Community

Non switched fused spur... you knew it would come!

Guest John C

I honestly dont see the point of fitting MK, the price of there logic plus FCU is three times that of GET,Contactum etc. Back as a spark I would never fit MK unless it was specified, I agree its good quality but why pay a premium when I can get a bit of kit less than half the price and never have any problems with it.

If you had the choice of two PIRs, both the same spec but "this one has round edges & wiring guide is printed white on black", would you pay another £5 for it.

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

Granted Lurch they are not the same,

MK FCUs are quicker and easier to fit compared to GET, but they both do exactly the same job when fixed to the wall. Dont get me wrong as I do have some standards like never using Klick FCUs.

Just out of interest, if you were pricing for a domestic rewire would you cost for MK as standard.

I used to do council grant rewires and that had to be MK. All the other jobs that came in were done in GET, big difference in the cost. :)

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

Just out of interest, if you were pricing for a domestic rewire would you cost for MK as standard.

69611[/snapback]

Nope, Crabtree. ;)

Some people are happy with GET, some with MK. Some people notice the difference and appreciate it, some don't. No need to all try and convince each other any differently.

Or the lack of double pole isolation as per BS.

Just for reference. ;)

69554[/snapback]

I've always tried to use MK and where I wanted some nice flush fittings - Crabtree. Both seem to be of great quality.

I'm glad I asked now - I was looking at one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.js...=87097&id=29775

Should I buy buying a double-pole insulation with neon lamp metalclad jobbie?

A DP metalclad spur with neon isn't what's in the pic. ;) It's a key operated DP metalclad spur with neon so that you can't just isolate the panel by switching it off as you need the key.

A DP metalclad spur with neon isn't what's in the pic. ;) It's a key operated DP metalclad spur with neon so that you can't just isolate the panel by switching it off as you need the key.

69643[/snapback]

That's what I mean! I was looking at one of those!

I looked on Contactum's website but they don't seem to have the key switching red ones - only the grey ones at the top of the PDF pics you posted before.

Do you know of a supplier for Joe Public of these?

If not, I will go with one of the grey ones...

Is there any point in getting one of the ones which has a flex outlet?

cheers.

For the supply, electrical wholesalers.

You don't need a red one, and the grey is actually white.

The flex outlet is only required if you need to directly connect flex to the switch.

And yes, the Contactum website is utterly useless. ;)

Do you know of a supplier for Joe Public of these?

Joe public needs to ensure compliance with Part Pbuilding regulations.

You should not be fitting fused spurs or any electrical equipment unless you are competant to do so. If you ever sell your house or have an electrical problem and the electrics are not up to scratch, this cheapness will end up costing you more.

More importantly messing with the electrics unless you are competant to do so can Kill you or a familly member/friends.

Food for thought!

Archived