Security Installer Community

pipes

FASTCAR

Friends new 4 bed detached , moving in day , carpets are going down, sat tv going in, removals arrived and me trying to fit alarm .The plumbers have fitted some nice inspection covers upstairs for access to the pipes , which I utilise for my drops ,Each cover has 6 screws , and as the carpet fitter is waiting impatiently for me, I come to screw the last one down , but there are only 5 screws , I get myself another screw , wiz it in , and the carpet goes on top .As I stand in the hallway programming the system , my eye is drawn to a small patch on the ceiling

That was lucky mate, saved you the cost of a plumber.

My mate had a simillar adventure, he`d dropped the wire down between the plaster board walls for the Keypad and proceeded to drill a hole in the rough location he thought the cable was in with an intent to fish the cable out through the hole, anyway he drilled the hole and on retracting the drill bit a Gushing Spaying noise was heard, yeah he`d hit a PLASTIC radiator pipe, anyhow he was fast acting and smashed a large hole in the wall and fixed a screw in the leak, that stopped the flow of water. Then PANIC set in, the customers were out for the day so he phoned the boss who quickly arranged a plumber and plasterer.

The installation was finished ok, but he had some explaining to do when they got home, obviously the boss made a loss on that job.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

My story is one that i already told on alarm cafe - for those who already read it i apologise for boring you. at thast time i was knightrider :wacko:

when i first started out all those years ago i was sent to a bonded warehouse and offices in hull (i was working for //.National Installer.// predecessor modern alarms at the time),

there was two jobs to do - one was two update the controls to a more modern (at the time )moderns version of 9100 and the other to add a digi.

being the young i know it all i was i did,nt bother reading the specs first i saw an old panel in the offices and promply startted stripping the system down. when dinner time came i finally read the specs and daylight finally dawned i had changed the panel that was just supposed to have digi fitted! :wub::(

the challenge then was to put the sytem back together. if i had the knowledge i poseess now some 18 years later i could have done it - but back then no chance!!

i finally had to ring my manager and fess up. it was not pleasent. i escaped the sack by the skin of my teeth. (thanks Mr.. Bell) ^_^

the moral of the stry always read the spec BEFORE you start!!! :!:

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Archived