Security Installer Community

PIR Motions

Guest firemanrob

Guest firemanrob

Hi everyone,

I Live in the US and //.National Installer.// just installed a concord express system in my home. I think I have a problem with my cats setting off the PIR Motion detector. If possible I'd rather fix it myself than deal with //.National Installer.//. I have seen some "pet proof" motion detectors on the internet. Can I just take mine down and wire one of these in place or does the new one need to be programmed in? Also, I'm looking through the install guidee and I see the PIR has four wires, 12v gnd zone(x) and zcom. What does the zcom do?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I Live in the US and //.National Installer.// just installed a concord express system in my home.  I think I have a problem with my cats setting off the PIR Motion detector.  If possible I'd rather fix it myself than deal with //.National Installer.//.  I have seen some "pet proof" motion detectors on the internet.  Can I just take mine down and wire one of these in place or does the new one need to be programmed in?  Also, I'm looking through the install guidee and I see the PIR has four wires, 12v gnd zone(x) and zcom.  What does the zcom do?

Thanks!

65827[/snapback]

zcom usually (99.9%) is same as gnd. it is just meant for zone input purposes but galvanically same (as gnd).

There are several PIR's that have "pet immunity" built in and would possible be interchangeable but if //.National Installer.// owns the system you shouldn't even think of changing it yourself. And when changing the PIR you would most propably need to reset the system and would anyway need to ask the engineer to do it.

I would advise against doing it yourself, mainly because we are all generally from the UK on this web site. We couldnt be sure how things are done in the USA so it would be wrong of us to advise you to proceed in that direction.

Certainly your cats are more than likley to be tripping the sensors, you really need to be speaking to //.National Installer.// or another USA based alarm company.

You would have thought that the cats would have been discussed before the alarm was installed. :blink:

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

As per the other guys,if the system has just been installed I must make the assumption that you also signed up for a maintenance contract also I recall that most systems in the states are monitored and do not even have an external sounder due to the opinion that a silent response is required in domestics ,this may or may not still be the case? if it is then as soon as you touch the system your self you will invalidate your guarantee/maintenace contract/monitoring contract and your home insurance!!!! the signalling system may also inform the monitoring co' that you have a tamper when you take the cover off and some systems can be programmed to lock up untill unlocked with an engineers code.

My advise is a very firm DO NOT TOUCH IT the possible consequences outway any gain that you feel you may have by attempting it yourself explain the problem to //.National Installer.// and if they were aware of the pet situation at the time of your survey you may be able to argue the case that the type of equipment installed is not suitable for its purpose and should be changed by them FOC.

Good luck! :yes: Paul.

Guest firemanrob

Oh you silly brits!

You say "leave well enough alone". You do realize you are talking to an american right? We left your country long ago beacuse of that very advice.

Thanks for nothing!

Oh you silly brits!

You say "leave well enough alone".  You do realize you are talking to an american right?  We left your country long ago beacuse of that very advice. 

Thanks for nothing!

65886[/snapback]

Oh you silly brits!

You say "leave well enough alone".  You do realize you are talking to an american right?  We left your country long ago beacuse of that very advice. 

Thanks for nothing!

65886[/snapback]

You have been given some good advice, regarding the //.National Installer.// system due to the system may still be under warrenty and or own by them which your rent from them so if you mess about with it and warrenty would be lost and you come end up with a big bill from them.

The advice given has been in your best intrest.

On another point you left our country, i thought people where kicked out of Britain to Australia and some parts of the US for reasons that many members of this forum try to protect against.

"You do realize you are talking to an american right?" yes we do, who in the right mind would be a //.National Installer.// residential system.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

You have been given some good advice, regarding the //.National Installer.// system due to the system may still be under warrenty and or own by them which your rent from them so if you mess about with it and warrenty would be lost and you come end up with a big bill from them.

The advice given has been in your best intrest.

On another point you left our country, i thought people where kicked out of Britain  to Australia and some parts of the US for reasons that many members of this forum try to protect against.

"You do realize you are talking to an american right?" yes we do, who in the right mind would be a //.National Installer.// residential system.

65889[/snapback]

quite a few actually..

Oh you silly brits!

Thanks for nothing!

65886[/snapback]

Eng, Nova, I think you misinterpreted what he meant. He says that Americans are originally from the UK and migrated out to the USA........

Shouldn't be too hard on him - and should ignore his arrogant stupidity. Don't you realise, he is an American?

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Archived