Guest rolf

What do you guys think of light timers.

Are they good or bad?

I'm talking about the ones like these I found at Argos:

Bayonet light fitting:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/s...&clickfrom=name

Socket Timer

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/s...&clickfrom=name

Perhaps there are even better models than these but do you security-conscious guys use them? I can see their advantage, but then I can also see how they could possible be a dead-giveaway that the residential property is unoccupied.

What do you think?

Both look fine to me, my only question is on the lamp holder type is how do you put unit into normal mode/override. Is it just a case of flicking the wall switch on/off a couple of times or do you have to get up to the unit and turn the dial ?.

I would say any light coming on when your away from your home is a good deterent. :)

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

Both look fine to me, my only question is on the lamp holder type is how do you put unit into normal mode/override. Is it just a case of flicking the wall switch on/off a couple of times or do you have to get up to the unit and turn the dial ?.

I would say any light coming on when your away from your home is a good deterent. :)

63984[/snapback]

Agreed. Any activity that will not cause someone to stop and think "you know, that house has been vacant for sometime now" is good.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Be careful, there have been reports of these timers working against you.

E.g someone watching a property and the hall switches on every night at eight is a sure bet it is unoccupied for at least a week.

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

Do burglars really sit outside for hours on end with risk of exposing themselves to see if someone was in and to check lighting schedules? I guess it depends on the type of property, surroundings and risk etc.

Ideally, should have more than timer.

OR a Crestron system ( :yes: )

OR an alarm with dial-in and X10 - anybody fit those?

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Do burglars really sit outside for hours on end with risk of exposing themselves to see if someone was in and to check lighting schedules? I guess it depends on the type of property, surroundings and risk etc.

64374[/snapback]

No, they just go and knock on the door!

In my opinion timers and "security" lighting are more for the owners convenience than security.

Good security means quality doors, windows and alarm system.

ah well, I don't completely agree with you on this. What does lighting have to do with convenience when you are not there? Vacant properties are always more at risk than occupied. Why then advertise the fact that you are out and hope that your good windows, locks and alarms will prevent the actual break-in, which they most likely will not?

And my question was not as dumb as you interpreted it to be. I spent a lot of time teaching anti-kidnap courses etc. in other locations. People always used to think that they were driving down the road, or arriving/leaving a primary location, and that they were suddenly, out of the blue, kidnapped. It doesn't happen like that. I am not going to go into the whole routine, but to sit and "case" a premises involves time, effort, manpower, and the longer you are there the more likely you will be noticed. So, how many burglaries in residential areas do you know of where the burglars sat in the same car within the same time parameters over a period of days in order to determine whether the lights that were coming on were on a timer.

I took your first sentence as being a sarcastic response to my post - but it may not have been..........was it? :whistle:

I took your first sentence as being a sarcastic response to my post - but it may not have been..........was it?  :whistle:

64404[/snapback]

Not at all. Appologies!

Most domestic break-ins are opportunist and day time, hence my low opinion on "security" lighting. Have a light on a timer yes, but still have good quality doors windows and alarm.

True that vacant properties are more at risk than occupied, but I have heard of many cases where theives just knock on the door, or if there is a dog knock several windows to find out where the dog has access to.

Dont know about kidnapping though! :huh:

I agree. That's what I was leading to in my original post. Loads of burglars will knock and if answered have some stupid question like "is Jimmy in".

Kidnapping - loads'a fun :ninja:

Archived