760 members have voted

1. 1. Engineer Manuals

• Engineer--Provide them if Asked
    • Engineer--Do not provide them at all
    • User--Im happy to leave the serious stuff to the pro`s
    • User--Its my Alarm, I have the right to a manual
    • Un-decided

• 1 month later...

Good day one and all. I have taken the time to read the various postings and would like to add my thoughts as an end consumer and full time manual reader!

As a technologist, I can relate to the frustrations and questions that you have all expressed. It has been my experience that many customers do not have the faintest clue how to work many devices, even though the process is clearly explained in the manual. Hence the advent of the Quick Start Guide. That has eased some of the congestion on the help lines, but not all. Most customers do not even want to read the Installation/Engineering manual that comes with the product. They do own the product, and therefore all associated paperwork, but most are only interested in the features they need/want to use on a day to day basis. Enter the professional.

As professionals, you come and solve the problems the lay person can't. Whether they have screwed the system by lack of knowledge, ignorance or incorrect interpretation of the manual, the results are the same, you are needed. I support the idea that when in doubt, call the professional.

For this reason I say, keep giving out the instruction/engineering manuals. The danger that a conscientious customer will corrupt things is small. The idiots can't be helped anyway and you will still end up coming out to service their system.

Having bought a house with an Optima system installed I was extremely frustrated to hear from the seller, "Yeah, I had the manual, but don't know where it is, but you don't need it anyway, the code is x-x-x-x.!" You can guess which group I ascribed him too. Even though I don't intend on teaching my system ballet, I would still like to understand its working by means of reading the manual.

To this end, if any of you can supply an instruction/installation/engineering/operating manual for the unit shown below I would appreciate it.

(Tried several times, unable to upload)

cheers, Howard

Guest Dave the alarm man
They do own the product,

you may find the control & signalling equipment are the tittle of the alarm company :rolleyes:

you read the book??? :P

an optima, you tired the search function?

As for eng manuals some are little more than diy guides however the sugested colour codes & devices shown for the low end stuff are unlikely to tally with a proper firms install

Guest anguscanplay
Good day one and all. I have taken the time to read the various postings and would like to add my thoughts as an end consumer and full time manual reader!
As a technologist

A what ?

I can relate to the frustrations and questions that you have all expressed. It has been my experience that many customers do not have the faintest clue how to work many devices, even though the process is clearly explained in the manual. Hence the advent of the Quick Start Guide. That has eased some of the congestion on the help lines, but not all. Most customers do not even want to read the Installation/Engineering manual that comes with the product. They do own the product, and therefore all associated paperwork, but most are only interested in the features they need/want to use on a day to day basis. Enter the professional.

they own the product i sell to them not the product they think i bought from the wholesaler - hence the manuals are mine unless they want to pay extra ( a lot extra )

As professionals, you come and solve the problems the lay person can't. Whether they have screwed the system by lack of knowledge, ignorance or incorrect interpretation of the manual, the results are the same, you are needed. I support the idea that when in doubt, call the professional.

nice to read a refreshingly honest about his ability DIY-ER

For this reason I say, keep giving out the instruction/engineering manuals. The danger that a conscientious customer will corrupt things is small. The idiots can't be helped anyway and you will still end up coming out to service their system.

again i commend your honesty about DIY-ERS

Having bought a house with an Optima system installed I was extremely frustrated to hear from the seller, "Yeah, I had the manual, but don't know where it is, but you don't need it anyway, the code is x-x-x-x.!" You can guess which group I ascribed him too. Even though I don't intend on teaching my system ballet, I would still like to understand its working by means of reading the manual.

Ah so you have an ulterior motive for the above comments

To this end, if any of you can supply an instruction/installation/engineering/operating manual for the unit shown below I would appreciate it.

Site rules say no ( in a Little Britain type voice lol ( sorry about my sense of humour )) the user guide should be there somewhere but legal action prevents the site owner from allowing engineering docs to non trade vetted members

cheers, Howard

Angus - it`ll probably need a new battery too

Angus, thanks for the comments. I like the honest approach, always easier to remember the facts than the lies, big or small. I've done the searches and have downloaded quite a few manuals from the net. From an on-line catalogue, I have learned that my Optima alarm looks a lot like an Optima XL4, but the control panel face on mine runs in an unbroken strip from left to right, with the name Optima written vertically at the LHS. So that still leaves me with the question, can I use what seem to be generic Optima instructions to run the system.

Have read the Optima XL6 and Optima G3 and Optima 2+ instruction manuals available on-line and they have striking similarities.

Those are the facts so far.

Oh to answer the technologist question. If you go all the way through university and do all the classes right to the bitter end, you can earn a title engineer. If you want to learn more of the practical stuff and less of the theory involved, you can take a shorter course and the diploma says, "technologist". That way you're out here, earning money and solving practical problems instead of postulating how the problem may theoretically be solved in the future. Before all the accredited engineers wail in protest, yes, I respect your work, but found the extra classwork wasn't my cup of tea.

So here I am out here, making things run and keeping things running.

cheers, Howard

Guest anguscanplay
Angus, thanks for the comments. I like the honest approach, always easier to remember the facts than the lies, big or small. I've done the searches and have downloaded quite a few manuals from the net. From an on-line catalogue, I have learned that my Optima alarm looks a lot like an Optima XL4, but the control panel face on mine runs in an unbroken strip from left to right, with the name Optima written vertically at the LHS. So that still leaves me with the question, can I use what seem to be generic Optima instructions to run the system.

Have read the Optima XL6 and Optima G3 and Optima 2+ instruction manuals available on-line and they have striking similarities.

Those are the facts so far.

Oh to answer the technologist question. If you go all the way through university and do all the classes right to the bitter end, you can earn a title engineer. If you want to learn more of the practical stuff and less of the theory involved, you can take a shorter course and the diploma says, "technologist". That way you're out here, earning money and solving practical problems instead of postulating how the problem may theoretically be solved in the future. Before all the accredited engineers wail in protest, yes, I respect your work, but found the extra classwork wasn't my cup of tea.

So here I am out here, making things run and keeping things running.

cheers, Howard

cool a real life technologist , wow , good on yer mate show the academics how it gets done rather than how it should be lol i had a diploma in something hut i `ve forgot what now

to be fair with your skill set it isnt a fortune to buy and install a new panel - lcd display , log , built in dialller etc - might be worth it in the long run , never liked the Optima stuff

Angus

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting subject!

I certainly value the opportunity to source manuals that I don't have. After nearly 20 years of installation and servicing, it is so frustrating to come across a panel which I don't have the details for, and when I make a request I am blocked.

I do though, fully appreciate that Mr Joe Public can make a complete b*lls up of the programming when let loose on some systems. :rolleyes:

Bear in mind though, that there are a number of cd's on ebay which contain many engineers manuals...and they will sell them to anyone! :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting subject!

I certainly value the opportunity to source manuals that I don't have. After nearly 20 years of installation and servicing, it is so frustrating to come across a panel which I don't have the details for, and when I make a request I am blocked.

I do though, fully appreciate that Mr Joe Public can make a complete b*lls up of the programming when let loose on some systems. :rolleyes:

Bear in mind though, that there are a number of cd's on ebay which contain many engineers manuals...and they will sell them to anyone! :angry:

ill try this again

when you get on a plane some go to the front some go to the back , the one's who go to the front have done his or her how maney years of training thats why we call them the PIOLET the one's who go to the back are called the PASSENGERS. just because they know where the engins are and the wings dont make them the piolet,

and yes if i bought a plane id want the manual.

but id also want some training

not the one from micro soft flight simulater .

tell me who will stick there hand up when jo blogs is twenty foot up the ladder and sticks his finger into the strobe and gets the biggist wack and comes flyiny down ,and says i told him to go up there and do that?

the real isue there are dangers in the job that we have done the so many years of training

• 2 months later...
Due to recent Discussions with certain Alarm manufacturers I am beginning to change my views as to whether I should supply Installation Manuals to users who request them.

My view until recently was that If they owned the Alarm System, then they were entitled to the manuals belonging to it, and to an extent i still believe this to be an owners right.

But......there are valid reasons why the Alarm Owners should not have access to them:

1: The supply of engineering information to end users can be seen to compromise the integrity of the system - especially in the eyes of the installation company who is under contract to maintain the system. Whilst this is especially true where remote signalling in use, the principle is true for all maintained systems - and can actually affect the relationship between us installers, the users and the manufacturers.

2: Manufacturers will not provide any kind of support for an end user contacting them. If they have a maintenance contract, they should be dealing with the installation company, not the manufacturer. Even if they do not have any contact with the alarm installer, the equipment is designed specifically for professional intallation engineers, so there could be serious health & safety implications for anyone giving any advice to unqualified persons that includes removing equipment covers or getting on a ladder (ie most advice!) - whether this is done by 'phone or in writing (ie manuals).

So Here`s the Question guys, and this is aimed at all installers who read the forums as well as Alarm Owners.

Shall we as a forum, provide Engineer manuals to the Alarm User....?

Please Vote and Also leave any comments. Stating wether your an installer oe Alarm user.

Hi i wondering if anyone can help me?

Im trying to add a device (I/O unit) to a firedex 3302, do you need the software to do this?

I was going to place it on the loop then try a program it on using the panel.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived