Security Installer Community

Advice required - which control panel?

Guest one5live

If you do decide to change the panel, be aware that the keypad may have 2 zones wired into it, they would be zones 9 and 10, therefore the replacement panel would need to have a keypad with zones in it.

However you will find that the cost of such panel will probably be in excess of the charge for an engineer to sort out your problem, service the system and renew the battery!!!!!

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Now stop being a tightwad and get your yellow pages out, post your location and maybe one of the chaps here can help.

He's Bristol Ian & we've tried to help him out here: - http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/comm...?showtopic=6201

Mate, with the greatest of respect, we don't know you & you could be a burglar for all we know. Please don't think we're being hostile, but the info you want would only ever be discussed in the Trade section of this forum amoungst members who have been vetted as trade, never in a public forum. The advice you've had sofar is sound & with the best intentions.

Best regards to you & I hope you get it sorted ok.

Chris

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Given the choice ts 700 or veritas 8 its not so hard to choose the better quality panel ts700 every time this is not a cheap and chearfull panel.

Get the ts700 fixed and serviced and end up with a better system than the cheap diy option.

Guest one5live

Guys,

I know you are not being hostile and I do appreciate the time you have all taken to respond.

I have a good understanding of electronics and wanted to sort it myself but accept that the info I want is something that is not readily available and should be that way.

I guess I feel I got my fingers burnt when the alarm was originally installed and I think I got tucked up, hence I have gotten in to the habit of miss trusting people.

The problem is the watchdog programs give trades bad names and tar everyone with the same brush, when in fact it is only a small minority who spoil it for everyone else. The public become very miss trusting and always think they are being conned.

Next time it fails I will make that call and get it sorted properly.

Now I know you don't have a crystal ball and this question is a little unfair, but to remove a panic button from a "Zone", what would be a "ball park" figure? I am not trying to catch anyone out, just get an idea whether it would be:

£10 - £25

£25 - £40

£40 - £55

£55 - £70

£70 plus

I also don't think the battery is the problem as I changed it 18 months ago, the first one lasted 9 years.

Many thanks for all your help.

Guest RICHL

they dont last 9 years, they last 4ish and should be changed then! Just to remove your PA should only cost £50ish - but be warned that as your system is OLD and not properly MAINTAINED there may well be more to do than just remove the PA.

I've got to agree with Richl, batts should be checked every 6 months and changed every 5 years at a maximum. I have had several batts fail on me within 12 months so just because it is 18 months old dosn't mean it's not faulty.

It also needs to be properly load tested to ensure it works correctly.

As for pricing, expect approx £50-£70 to remove the P.A. button and deprogramme it from the system.

If your wary about tradesmen, get a few quotes beforehand, that should give you a rough idea of what to expect to be charged.

Hopefully the guys here will have restored your confidence in the industry, I agree with you, tv programs like watchdog tar EVERYBODY with the same brush.

I'm sure you could find a reputable engineer here on the forums as most of the members here are deeply passionate about what they do (some to the point of obsession) :whistle:

I hope somebody here can sort it for you.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Archived