Security Installer Community

Advice please, sensors for a garage

Guest rjenkins

Guest rjenkins

Hi,

I'm planning to replace the alarm system at a house I just moved to and would appreciate some advice on the type & location of sensors to use in the garage.

It is a detached double garage roughly 6m square, one piece up & over door, medium sized window at the back (south facing) plus an entry door & window in one side wall (door against back wall).

The door is fiberglass.

The back window will get full sun, & through tree branches later in the day.

Is there any type of area sensor that I can use in the garage that wouldn't be subject to false triggering?

Any ideas appreciated,

Robert Jenkins.

Is there any type of area sensor that I can use in the garage that wouldn't be subject to false triggering

Simple answer to that question is a no, if you could design one you would be a very rich person.

There are thankfully some which are more unlikley to trigger than others and the type you need would known as a dual technology sensor (dualtec for short).

Many manufactures make them and many different engineers will have theyre own favorite. I am sure within 24hrs you will have a fine list to choose from as the guyz come in from work and post theyre choice.

C&K dualtechs seem fine if you set the microwave part of it just high enough to trigger from internal movement and no more.

Texecom premier DT is also a good piece of kit.

yep i agree optex mx40 qz good piece of kit never had any problems with the one i have installed

pete

pete .................

Any comments/opinions posted are my own and not that of my employers.

Guest rjenkins

Hi,

thanks for the info, I will have a look at the Optex & other units mentioned.

I was planning on fitting switches on the doors & windows, but I would be happier with some form of area coverage as a backup.

I've never had my hands on a dual detector & had no idea they were adjustable.

I was concerned that it would detect people on the path through the fibreglass door, or through the windows, depending on where it was located.

The PIR is adjustable via a hight adjustment screw on the board which alters the coverage patern, and the microwave is seperatly adjustable via a small pot, so you set it to just alarm within the protected area, dont set it too high as it will penetrate well outside the protected area.

But anyhow, both parts of the dualtech have to trigger to set the detector into alarm condition, the pir or microwave on their own is not enough - they must be triggered by both technologies at the same time to alarm.

Hence they cut down false alarms in more hostile environments, as where a pir on its own might cause problems.

Archived