Security Installer Community

Patch Panel Connections

Nova-Security

OK, the other way then, if you're using secondary mod-taps, is to connect pin 3 of the master socket (white\orange) to pin 2 on the patch panel (orange) in addition to Simons connections.

If you've got master sockets that then feed the patch panels you've got to use slave/extension mod-taps to plug your phone cable into.

Best to get your multimeter out on the mod-taps and verify that they're wired up to carry the ring signal, and on which connector. Then just wire up the other end the same.

OK, the other way then, if you're using secondary mod-taps, is to connect pin 3 of the master socket (white\orange) to pin 2 on the patch panel (orange) in addition to Simons connections.

38794[/snapback]

You need to check, I have come across secondary mod-taps where there is no connection to RJ45 Pin2 internally and hence the bell-wire is not passed. Best tyo check before rewiring it in.

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

I wondered if anyone was going to mention the mod-tap\LAU thing!

Regarding the REN, most modern handsets are actually well under ! so you can quite easily go way past 4 and not suffer any problems. Just stop adding phones when they don't ring any more!

I wired a huge house recently, and installed a 48way patch panel. We also fitted a small (4-16) PBX, and patched this to the panel.

Direct lines from the NTE where patched to outlets aswell, using secondary modtaps.

I will try to find the numbers we used. We had a patchpanel wired with the RJ45's with the 16 exn's, and the direct lines, so these could be patched to the panels above.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

Direct lines from the NTE where patched to outlets aswell, using secondary modtaps.

38856[/snapback]

But.. remember some telephones have a built-in capacitor so do not require the bell wire (whether is is passed through or not), seem to remember a lot of Interquartz phones have this.

It is definetly RJ45/Patchpanel terminal number 2 (orange) which cross connects the bell wire from terminal 3 in the LJU or direct from NTE5a. Just as long as the Mod-Tap/LAU supports it.

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

Archived