Security Installer Community

Part P?

Guest sens7

I'm not a qualified spark so I, use a qualified electricain to install all my spurs, if my customer doesn't have a preferred choice of electrician already.

I recently spoke to one that informed me that due to the new Part P regs adding a new spur on to an existing circuit can only be done if the circuit wiring the spur is being added to complies to Part P?

For some reason (I think I may have read it on the forum) I was of the understanding that adding a spur to an existing circuit is acceptable, but adding a new circuit to the system needs to complie with the new regs???

Can any of the sparks on the forum clear this up?????

Steve

Thank god for that. Was beginning to think foreigners would become a thing of the past. What about security lights, are these still OK?

What is the easiest and quickest route to becomming qualified enough to carry out jobs within PartP. Does my JIB give me any authority, or is that just for building sites?

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

Thank god for that. Was beginning to think foreigners would become a thing of the past. What about security lights, are these still OK?

What is the easiest and quickest route to becomming qualified enough to carry out jobs within PartP. Does my JIB give me any authority, or is that just for building sites?

38288[/snapback]

thats the daft bit im jib and cant do my own electrics :no: tho that wont stop me..its a joke!! its supposed to stop the diyers but its stoping real sparks too...

Foreigners don't count, as it's not official so your NICEIC (or whichever inspectorate) membership wouldn't cover you.

To become qualified you can do a short C&G course and then you have to join the NICEIC\ECA or similar. You then have to have all the equipment that they require you to have such as calibrated test equipment and various bits of useless paper.

Oh yeah, I was a "real sparks" until 1st January 2005. Now I can't be bothered.

So you wouldn't turn down any mains jobs you might get? I haven't but can't stop wandering if its as bad or illegal as a none Corgi bloke doing a gas job.

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

I'd be less inclined to bother with domestic other than for friends\family and existing customers.

One thing to note is that Part P only applies to domestic electrics. You can still carry on regardless in commercial and industrial properties.

So you wouldn't turn down any mains jobs you might get? I haven't but can't stop wandering if its as bad or illegal as a none Corgi bloke doing a gas job.

38294[/snapback]

you can still do any mains jobs.tho if it needs testing for insurance etc you have to get someone with a bit of paper to test it for you even if said person with bit of paper knows nowt......cant see it lasting really..why train a spark for 4 years at college then 3yrs on site then have someone with a bit of paper to take the credit??no wonder there is a shortage of sparks :o (as there all fitting alarms) :D

just to add to this.has any sparks been to big diy store to buy gear and been pulled by resident spark on electrical isle??excuse me but what is any decent sparky doing working in a diy shop :o i like to play with them personaly have had some fun i can tell you :D go on ask them a real question and wait for the.er yes no i mean answer.. :P

While we are on this subject, did you know that we now cannot run telephone wiring thru kitchens or bathrooms as phone voltage is 100v when ringing.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived