Security Installer Community

Windows 95

morph

I also used to have an IBM 560, I took the hard drive out, bought a 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor, put it in my desktop machine. Installed win98 using the cd drive in my desktop machine and also copied the win98 cd to a folder on the drive. Take the drive out, put it back in the lappy, windows will say it has found new hardware etc andask for win98 cd, point it towards the folder with win98 in it, hey presto!

Really useful, those adapters. I got one off ebay for next to nothing and have used it to resuscitate several laptops. :yes:

If you want a cleaner install, know how to do it, and have the relevant bits (mainly dual IDE cable) install the laptop drive in your desktop as a 2nd hard disk.

Before you do that format it for a command line boot whilst still in the laptop - use DOS disks or a Win98 recovery diskette.

Then you just copy the Win95 (or Win98 etc) folder to it. Put it back in the laptop and run setup on the laptop to do a clean install. :)

• 3 months later...
Guest Cerberus NI
We have 2 windows for worgroups Toshibas cost me £7k & £2.5K when new (worth about 10 bob now) we use them for loading Fire and Access panels our lads are emaressed taking them out of the bag.

Jef

36677[/snapback]

As a side issue of sorts - We have a couple of same said Tosh machines for Fire programs that run true DOS but we have all been upgraded to new shiny XP machines with writers and USB floppies.They have put somethimg on them called Virtual PC that has a 98 engine and goes to windows DOS.Problem is this wont work with the fire panels and,of course,we cant install using the floppies because USB not supported in DOS.Previously worked for another company and they used Partition Magic with DOS on it for consys.I take it this is the only way to go and that we'll have to drop the writers for internal floppies? :question:

I'd use Partition Magic, I'm in the process of trying to get DOS 6.0 and Win 3.11 on a partition. Fun and games? :no:

You only need to temporarily use internal floppies for the install, after that you can stick the CDRW's back in.

Colin great minds

Just got my self a panasonic cf27 with printer in a nice samsanite case all built in.  Price spent £150 not bad

36683[/snapback]

Are these the ex British Gas ones I saw for sale a few years ago? Did you buy yours recently - and if so, where? I got one of these years ago for my old company, and now going it alone its just what I need!

thanks,

Stu.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I just got a toughbook CF50 from a chap in Nottingham on eBay. I was in the area so collected it in person. There are also various CF-27\28s cropping up in there too.

I just got a toughbook CF50 from a chap in Nottingham on eBay. I was in the area so collected it in person. There are also various CF-27\28s cropping up in there too.

49207[/snapback]

Not bad... I was was thinking of something a little cheaper though, but probably better to save up and get something half decent I guess, its what we always tell the customers I suppose!

Stu.

EDIT - just found the CF-27s for £170, I didnt mean cheaper than that, that IS cheap! (although that said I guess any other 12" 4GB 266MHz PC would long be binfood by now!)

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Not bad... I was was thinking of something a little cheaper though,

49210[/snapback]

Thought you'd say that. ;) To be fair, they are Toughbooks, they were never really the cheapest on the market.

EDIT: Just seen your edit! Not bad, for that sort of price you can almost warrant buying one for throwing around when on site as well as a decent one too.

Archived